Install Debian on WD My Cloud home

Hi. I just replaced the old drive with a new one. The old drive is broken. The new one was empty. I am using a wd mycloud home solo. Not a duo. I inserted a usb stick with the debian softwear from the russian site and holded the reset button while plugging in the power cable. The softwear was installed. I am trying to install the original firmware.

Hello! Did you manage to install the original firmware? I
Maybe there is a simple way to do it? Previously I’ve installed Debian and now I need to get the stock Android firmware back. Unfortunately I am a noob in console commands…

1 Like

Hello,

Is there any file manager for OMV? not samba / FTP for shared folders, but full access.
Ihave impression, that transfer speed from MCH to USB (connected to MCH) is limited by my laptops wifi…

Hello,
I was able to get Debian Buster installed by using Alex-N instructions using debootstrap. Has anyone been successful in installing Openmediavault 5 on the Debian buster image? I was able to start the installation using a script made for armbian but it kept failing on the configure phase setting up the salt environment can someone give me some pointers?
Thanks!

1 Like

Same here. Which kernel did you use?

For the noob. How and to which place do you install those?

I didn’t change kernels I just used whatever was included with the flash drive installer. All I did was follow the instructions from Alex-N using debootstrap. Buster works beautifully I just hate the fact that I couldn’t get OpenMediaVault installed so I had to revert to the original stretch flash drive image. If someone has any ideas to get OMV5 Installed I would greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

I tried the kernel of Alex-N but got the same result.

I extracted the archive file into /lib/modules directory.

I also had the error during a build of salt enviroment when I was installing OMV5 so I changed following file: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/psutil/_pslinux.py

in about 411 line I change from:

mems[fields[0]] = int(fields[1]) * 1024

to:

try:
     mems[fields[0]] = int(fields[1]) * 1024
 except:
     mems[fields[0]] = int(0)

Best regards
Andrew

Now the error message changed. Before it was a “ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: b’low:'”
Now it is a “KeyError: b’MemTotal:'”

Try with my file (remove additional “.txt” extension)_pslinux.py.txt (79.1 KB) .

That does it. It gives some more error messages, but the install runs through. You have to run
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
before you can run the configuration command.
Thank you Andrew!

BTW if you install Alex-N kernel, then nginx install will fail (97: Address family not supported by protocol).
Solution: nano /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
comment: # listen [::]:80 default_server;

And in OMV no devices is showing. The partitions are there but without a device you can’t create a share.

Unrelated: I noted that sometimes the MCH did not boot, instead the LED kept flashing (strobo mode). It did not happen with an old 320 GB HD, which I use for testing.
But with my brand new WD red 6TB HD it happened quite often.
In the end I connected it to TTYUSB0 (UART) and saw that apparently the HD is not recognised. Workaround: putting in the power cable slowly (not kidding, seems to work).

This is the log:
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller mcfg = 0024
dev->name=r8168#0
*** Reboot-Action invalid ***
Hit Esc or Tab key to enter console mode or rescue linux: 0
------------can’t find tmp/factory/recovery
======== Checking into android recovery ====

AHCI 0001.0301 32 slots 2 ports ? Gbps 0x3 impl SATA mode
flags: ncq pm led clo only pmp pio slum part
No port device detected!
Error, SATA device initialization failed!
bootr - boot realtek platform

Does anyone have the partition layout of an MCH with 4k sectors? fdisk -l will do.
fox-exe.ru only has 512 layouts.

fdisk -l
tells me that Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Can this explain why the disk is sometimes not initialised?

Thanks for the Files Alex!

But the root password: buster

Is just not working :<

1 Like

how to amplify the led My cloud home? It shines at half strength

Does this wipe the Android OS from the MCH (Not the Duo) or does the Debian run from the USB?

Yes, it overwrites some of the Android partitions and starts from the internal HD. You can remove the USB stick after the installation.

The LED is controlled by a PWM device but I haven’t yet managed to export the device to user-space… :frowning:
Any insights are more than welcome

1 Like

Hi,
Is it possible to access old files after OMV is installed? I can see the folders with the interface but when I try to access those files, It doesn’t work.
Regards.