Install Debian on WD My Cloud home

Hi, KingRalph.
Nothing significant. I just removed the “lost+found” directory from the root.

Hello.
For some reason, your device does not see the HDD (screenshot)… For me, even on 4.1.4 U-Boot everything was OK.
But it’s still worth trying to overwrite the current U-Boot. As promised, I’m posting a link to it for MCH and MCHD.
To update, you need to unpack the archive onto a flash drive formatted in FAT32, insert it into the NAS and boot the device with the Reset button held down (as when installing Debian\Gentoo).
After ~10 seconds the diode will start blinking quickly and after the update the device will automatically reboot (MCHD needs to be rebooted manually after one minute…).
I also attach my UART logs for comparison.

If it doesn’t help, then please make a NOR dump in rescue-boot and post it to compare with mine:
dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=/mnt/mtd.img bs=1M

I would also like to see your full UART log when loading rescue with Reset button held down.

putty-debian-4.1.4.txt (73.7 KB)
putty-debian-4.2.2.txt (73.6 KB)
putty-recovery-4.1.4.txt (58.2 KB)
putty-recovery-4.2.2.txt (57.3 KB)

MCH U-Boot 4.2.2. :

MCHD U-Boot 4.2.2.

1 Like

@Sym0 Thanks for sharing all information :smiling_face:

U-Boot update is tested and it works for me without any problems.
Thanks.

KR

1 Like

@ef_ryronald2 Installing Debian or any other Linux distribution on a WD My Cloud Home device is not a straightforward task due to several reasons:

1. Hardware and Firmware Limitations: WD My Cloud Home devices typically come with a specific firmware and hardware configuration optimized for NAS (Network Attached Storage) functionality. They often have ARM-based processors and custom firmware that may not support installation of generic Linux distributions like Debian.

2. Locked Bootloader: Many NAS devices, including WD My Cloud Home, have locked bootloaders or customized firmware that prevent users from easily installing third-party operating systems. This is done for security reasons and to ensure stability of the device.

3. Compatibility Issues: Even if you manage to bypass the bootloader and install Debian, ensuring compatibility with all hardware components (such as network drivers, storage drivers, etc.) can be challenging due to lack of official support and documentation.

4. Warranty and Support: Attempting to install third-party operating systems can void the warranty of the device. Moreover, there might be no official support available if something goes wrong during or after the installation process.

Alternative Approaches

If you are looking to expand the functionality of your WD My Cloud Home beyond its stock firmware, consider these alternatives:

• Docker: Many WD My Cloud Home devices support Docker containers. You can run various applications within Docker containers without modifying the underlying firmware.

• Use Another Device: If you specifically need Debian or a full Linux environment, consider using a more versatile device like a Raspberry Pi or a small server that supports Debian natively. You can then use the WD My Cloud Home as a storage device accessible over the network.

• Community Projects: Sometimes, enthusiast communities develop custom firmware or hacks to run Debian or similar on unsupported devices. However, these projects often require technical expertise and come with risks.

Conclusion

While it’s theoretically possible to install Debian on a WD My Cloud Home device with sufficient technical knowledge and effort, it’s not recommended due to the risks involved and the likelihood of encountering compatibility issues. Exploring alternative methods like Docker or using another device better suited for Linux installations might provide a more stable and supported solution for your needs.

1 Like

Which My Cloud Home device supports docker? Mine certainly doesn’t. Also when syncing data via rsync and the samba connection (which took forever to be released, previously there was only the WD app) the web portal indexes for multiple days. All in all the device was just not usable for me. I was young and I had no idea what i was doing and I thought I would make a good deal per TB with the MCHD. Now i know better purchased a Synology and couldn’t be happier with it. I know i void the warranty by installing things like Debian on it but turns out it works for me, i was able to install OMV on my MCHD and now I can actually make use of this device for some backup related things instead of putting it to the e-waste.

Finally i killed my wdcloud home. When i turn on device with flashdisk i forget connect uart converter. After turn off and connected everything again. I had on serial tty:

C1:80000000
C2
?
C3h
hwsetting size: 000005EC
C4
f
5-5verify fsbl fail
0000003BC7
C1:80000000
C2
?uu3-1

And device not responding for reboot switch. Led is still off. In my opinion last hope to recover this device is flashing spi eprom (i have programmer) but i haven’t firmware file.

Oh…I hope everything works out for you. Here’s my dump.

Sym0 you are amazing. This file help me to recovery device. Thanks.

1 Like

@Sym0 Thanks for your information. Great :+1:

1 Like

@Sym0 Thank you. :blush:

@stephenhodges any update. :blush:

yes alright