Install Debian on WD My Cloud home

Thanks, we didn’t know that…

no activity for the last two months :frowning:
my question is, can I buy a device and install debian now or is better to look at mini pc?
Do 4pda installer works if the device has the latest firmware with linux?

Установщик работать должен, единственное - почитайте там (4PDA) у некоторых были проблемы с установкой из-за даты, которую нужно задать вручную, возможно это из-за того, что “снимок” в установщике устарел. Я не гарантирую возврат на заводскую прошивку по инструкции с 4PDA, т.к. WD могли в новых прошивках изменить таблицу разделов и мой метод уже будет не рабочим. Никто, к сожалению не сделал бэкап новой прошивки. Я жду когда появится свисток USB AX3000, чтобы избавится от проводного подключения, так же в перспективе задействовать встроенный GPU 3хMaliT820 для транскодирования видео и увеличение оперативной памяти до 2ГБ. Всё это сейчас я не испытываю, потому что занять подготовкой к экзаменам по 1С:ERP.

1 Like

купил себе WD Cloud Home, при включении сразу обновился с 7.4.0 до 7.16.0-220
уже две недели не обновляется до 8.5.x :-1:
еще пару дней подожду и буду шить вашу прошивку
так и не узнав, что там за Linux у WD

Попробуйте подключить WDMCH через VPN, а то может дело в этом

Я из Латвии, это Евросоюз, но попробую VPN

1 Like

Can we keep the convo in English please?

Hi,
finally WDMCH was updated to 8.13.0 without any changes/action from my side,
just waited two weeks :frowning:

partition scheme not changed.
sda20, sda21 and sda22 contais old android folders and files

I found debian on sda19 inside image.cfs

What do You think, it makes sense mount image.cfs and change files? or this image was overwritten from firmware partition every system reboot?

Do You need some files from original firmware?

Do you get access to partitions using “usb rescue” or sata cable?

If possible, reset to factory/default settings, make a backup of the firmware (sections 1-23), according to this instruction

Hello,

Haven’t been here for a while.
I have MCH with buster without OMV installed. I have some time to spare, so I am thinking about upgrading DEBIAN. What’s current stable version? Is there any easy to upgrade with OMV? Is it worth it? Link to nerdyproject mentioned Above is dead.
I’ll need samba, minidlna, plex will be nice.
Looking forward to some tips.
Thanks in advance

I’ll be glad if anyone here can prove me wrong and posts some proof-of-life of Debian on MCH with a bit more profound explanation how is this supposed to work..

Hey guys. Been running Debian11+OMV6 for a year now, but I would like to return my WDMCH to the original firmware, the problem is the flash drive where my backup was stored is missing and I probably will never find it again. Is there a way to return to WD firmware without a backup? If no, can I use someone else’s backup?

Thanks

What proof do you expect?
It works like ordinary Linux server, with features like SAMBA (file management from Windows), miniDLNA (access from eg. Smart TV), etc…

Does anyone know the password on the new firmware’s console (serial/usb connection) ?

Old firmware went to console, but new one asks for a password (tried password and admin).

What is the current new firmware?

Try this:

https://wd.hides.su/wd/Cloud_Home/

Thanks for you suggestion. I was hoping to use an untouched golden image to use the @Alex-N method, that way I would not have to crack the box open.

I tried replacing /default/shadow with my own but didn’t succeed in logging in.

I wonder which credentials are actually used for the login.

The newest capture of that nerdy projects site on archive.org wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220822101405/https://nerdprojekte.wordpress.com/2021/12/28/wd-mycloud-home-to-linux-server-17-install-openmediavault-6-and-debian-11-directly-new-method/