Install Debian on WD My Cloud home

hi, I also have the MCH duo, do you have a short instruction how you followed, to install the Debian on you MCH Duo? thanks

Hello, I installed the hard way. But forth32 make a script that makes almost everything WD My Live\Book\Cloud\Cloud Mirror - 4PDA

I gonna try to explain the basics (sorry but I’m very bad explaining myself) You can use google translate on the link that I share, basically you need to download the files, put in a pendrive formatted in fat32, you need to connect the pen on the top usb port (the closest to the power button), and with the nas powered off, you push the reset button and then you power it on (you can power either with the button, or connect it directly to the powerline, the important part is pushing the reset button when it turn it on, inmediately the white light is gonna blink) if everything goes allright, after a few minutes, the white light stays on, and you can access the nas via telnet to execute the installer.

thank you very much. just found out that the MCH duo has got a new OS, the native Debian 10. will this solve all the problems? BTW, how can I use the native Debian to install all the apps, like OpenWRT, NFS, etc.?

The new firmware doesn’t gonna help a lot until they release the sources of the kernel. The debian used by WD is a stripped down version, it has a script that load the SSH, but i didn’t dig too much on it, because the kernel doesn’t had the modules for NFS. So until I have the sources, I don’t care too much about the new version. In theory after you had a ssh connection you can install whatever you want compatible with 32 bit debian (Except anything that require a kernel module or driver, like NFS). In practice I don’t know if it gonna be that easy, the new firmware load the core OS from a image.cfs file (it decompresses to ram) and then mounts user folders on top of that, so I don’t know if is possible to install ssh, apt, etc. without modifying the image.cfs file, but that implies replacing the file on the emmc and modifying (or disabling) the checksum of the image. For me that’s not an easy task, so I’m waiting for the new kernel sources.

1 Like

Hello, is the partition table still the same?

Has the new firmware been released? How do we upgrade it?

Yes is exactly the same on the Home Cloud Duo. Don’t know on the single, but I don’t think that WD gonna risk to modify disk partitions with an OTA.

1 Like

Was released on 23 of may, the upgrade is automatic you just need to wait, or reboot to see if it was upgraded. Right know it looks like people had problems with it (plex doesn’t work).

1 Like

BUMP!

“New” :rofl: GPL My Cloud Home (wd.com)

GPL_MCH_7.16.0-220_2021-12-16.tar.xz arm64 4.1.17 Kernel

p.s. new kernel/gpl 4.9.266 wait under 2023

Hi, in “new” GPL_MCH_7.16.0-220_20211216.tar.xz WD add to DTB power control:

GPL_MCH_7.16.0-220_20211216/linux-kernel/linux-kernel/arch/arm64/boot/dts/realtek/rtd-129x-powerctrl-common.dtsi

Please take a look, will it be useful for us for rtc, suspend, watchdog e.t.c?
He is part of the wd-monarch-1GB.SATA.dts->rtd-1295.dtsi->rtd-129x-powerctrl.dtsi->rtd-129x-powerctrl-common.dtsi

I can’t go any further!!!
I do everything as described here but it doesn’t work…
my WD MY Cloud 1 Generation does not boot from my USB stick.
either the usb port is blocked or i get my usb stick bootable!
How do I make the stick bootable?
What files did I use with rufus?
How do I create an ISO ?
Etc…
Can someone help me and give me instructions for stupid!!
I just don’t feel like the original software

How do we install the new kernel if we already installed Debian over the stock firmware?

only for WD MyCloud HOME (1 HDD)

unzip kernel.zip - Google Drive inter in foldrer, run:
chmod +x installkernel.sh ; ./installkernel.sh ; wait ; reboot

The kernel sources are exactly the same - no changes.
As for the suspend, there is no hardware RTC on the board. Hence no chance to wake-up.

sorry…
I’m not a profi…
I have Win 10 on my laptop and my WD MY Cloud does not have Debian software installed yet.
I have to start from scratch…
I’ve added a few more pictures
Thanks

However, an interesting moment appeared in the new kernel (GPL_MCH_7.16.0-220_20211216) - when select STANDBAY in the OMV6, the device turns off and the inscription appears on the command line (UART) - “restart in 90 seconds”, this time passes and the WDMCH starts.
Previously, when this button was pressed, it turned off completely.

Dear, another device is being discussed here, all instructions are not compatible, and may harm your device. Find a discussion of your model.

looks like /lib/modules does not exist, should I just mkdir it?

root@OMV:~/kernel# chmod +x installkernel.sh
root@OMV:~/kernel# ./installkernel.sh
24704+1 records in
24704+1 records out
12648920 bytes (13 MB, 12 MiB) copied, 0.902939 s, 14.0 MB/s
122+1 records in
122+1 records out
62785 bytes (63 kB, 61 KiB) copied, 0.00402041 s, 15.6 MB/s
tar: /lib/modules: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

so I’ve created the missing /lib/modules folder and installed the new kernel and now kswapd0 hogs the cpu and put the load average to 10, the /proc/sys/vm/swappiness is 1

anybody seen this?

1 - setting for servers