Esteemed Forum Members,
I bought a 4TB WD My Cloud last week and thought I would share my findings:
- I only use Linux (Ubuntu) on all PCs on my home gigabit network.
- Initially I did get some disconnection issues. I believe that this is because I was consolidating a few TBs of data onto the WD My Cloud and all the indexing (thumbnail creating) caused it to lock up.
- After all the data was loaded I have not had a problem with it. It has been sleeping and never disconnecting.
- I had to set MTU to 9000 on each of my PC network ports to get a higher throughput on my gigabit network, now typically 30MBS.
Overall I am very pleased with it. I have experimented with FreeNAS and UNRAID (and they were fine), but I have found the WD My Cloud to be by far the best solution.
I have the following questions:
- I have created a safepoint onto an external USB HDD – is there anyway I can gain access to the files and directories in the safepoint file via my PC once the external USB drive is attached to the PC.
- I am going to try and install Transmission and Own Cloud. Is there a way of resetting to WD My Cloud to its original state (before Transmission / Own Cloud were installed) if I have problems – do I just do a restore by pressing the reset button or via the admin panel to get back to oringinal setup.
- I was going to disable indexing using :
- update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
- update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable
Please could you let me know how to enable indexing again (without a system reset).
Thank you forum members for your advice and knowledge sharing.