Initial experience & Questions on Safepoit access, 3rd Party software & indexing

Esteemed Forum Members,

I bought a 4TB WD My Cloud last week and thought I would share my findings:

1. I only use Linux (Ubuntu) on all PCs on my home gigabit network.
  2. Initially I did get some disconnection issues.  I believe that this is because I was consolidating a few TBs of data onto the WD My Cloud and all the indexing (thumbnail creating) caused it to lock up.
  3. After all the data was loaded I have not had a problem with it.  It has been sleeping and never disconnecting.
  4. I had to set MTU to 9000 on each of my PC network ports to get a higher throughput on my gigabit network, now typically 30MBS.

Overall I am very pleased with it.  I have experimented with FreeNAS and UNRAID (and they were fine), but I have found the WD My Cloud to be by far the best solution.

I have the following questions:

1. I  have created a safepoint onto an external USB HDD – is there anyway I can gain access to the files and directories in the safepoint file via my PC once the external USB drive is attached to the PC.
  2. I am going to try and install Transmission and Own Cloud.  Is there a way of resetting to WD My Cloud to its original state (before Transmission / Own Cloud were installed) if I have problems – do I just do a restore by pressing the reset button or via the admin panel to get back to oringinal setup.
  3. I was going to disable indexing using :
  • update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
  • update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

Please could you let me know how to enable indexing again (without a system reset).

Thank you forum members for your advice and knowledge sharing.

Kind regards.

Lisa

Lisa_Reeves wrote:

Esteemed Forum Members,

I have the following questions:

1. I  have created a safepoint onto an external USB HDD – is there anyway I can gain access to the files and directories in the safepoint file via my PC once the external USB drive is attached to the PC.

Yes. Safepoint stores the files flat in a directory, in folders corresponding to all your shares. You can access these files if you plug the USB disk to a PC. This is how I access disk images I store on the NAS to restore them.

1. I am going to try and install Transmission and Own Cloud.  Is there a way of resetting to WD My Cloud to its original state (before Transmission / Own Cloud were installed) if I have problems – do I just do a restore by pressing the reset button or via the admin panel to get back to oringinal setup.

You would have to do a system restore. You don’t need the full option that overwrites the disk with zeros.

1. I was going to disable indexing using :
  • update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
  • update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

Please could you let me know how to enable indexing again (without a system reset).

Look up posts from Ralphael for the exact syntax, but I think you just restart these services.