Info on WD_BLACK SN850X firmware updates

Dashboard reports that a firmware update is available for my WD_BLACK SN850X. Is there somewhere I can read release notes for firmware updates on this drive, to determine if updating is worth the time and risk?

Edit: I hadn’t seen at the time, but another user asked this exact question a year prior, and also received no answer:

https://community.wd.com/t/firmware-release-notes/273930

1 Like

No response here, and no response from WD support.

It’s a very basic question. I cannot imagine firmware being released without release notes being made publicly available. If they’re not available, then that is shameful. But I cannot find them.

Some firmware updates can be critical. Some can be irrelevant. Users need to know.

Reply from WD support:

“[W]e do not release firmware notes for the retail drives, usually there are minor bug fixes in the firmware updates.”

This is beyond absurd. Let’s build this case of absurdity, shall we? I promise it’ll be fun.

1. Customers entrust their data to you people.

2. That data is handled by your firmware.

3. You update that firmware from time to time.

4. Updating the firmware incurs a risk to the user. NOT updating can be a risk, if a security or data integrity issue has been resolved in the update. And yet, the very act of updating is itself somewhat risky. You wouldn’t want to update if there aren’t even any (purportedly) resolved issues that apply to you.

5. BUT! You refuse to divulge what has been changed in your firmware releases. Therefore, users are left in the dark as to whether updating is worth the inherent risk.

It’s not me. You people are absurd. Any one of you could convince even a middle manager of the importance of publishing firmware release notes, but you do not. You take the low road. And guess what? I know why you do, because I have worked in IT for over 30 years. I see you.

1 Like

Hi @RAGE ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Thanks for the reply, but yes, I did open a support case. WD support replied and that is who I was quoting above:

“[W]e do not release firmware notes for the retail drives, usually there are minor bug fixes in the firmware updates.”

WTF is there no MacOS WD Dashboard? I have SN850X’s I cannot update firmware on because I have Apple computers.