Indexing Spotlight (Mac)

Hi guys,

i am connected to my MyCloud via smb on my Mac. When i search through the spotlight, i won’t get any result because it’s not reading my smb storage.

With this  command “sudo mdutil -i on /Volume/network_volume” i could force spotlight to index the mycloud but it still doesnt work! I tried afp and smb but i always get the same result.

Did someone get this to work?

found this for you…  although you have used the first two mdutil commands, the mdimport to build index manually might help.

Enable OSX Spotlight file searching with Apple AFP shares on NAS

Thank you for your answer, but it didnt solve it. I tried it with smb and afp both didnt help. After that indexing process was finished i still couldnt see any results in my spotlight.

Did anyone who is using a mac got it to work?

Andy26 wrote:

Thank you for your answer, but it didnt solve it. I tried it with smb and afp both didnt help. After that indexing process was finished i still couldnt see any results in my spotlight.

Did anyone who is using a mac got it to work?

Unfortunately I do not have a mac :frowning:

But from looking at the samba conf in MyCloud I could see that it is (repectfully said) very special.

Imho that way it just can not work.

thanks. So i will return my cloud and get a qnap or synology instead. Don’t want to miss this feature.

Andy, if you couldn’t get it to work with the cloud, you won’t get it to work with ANY NAS. Despite what Count…Dooky says, the samba configuration of the Cloud is not at all unusual.

Does this work?

I have this problem. I want to search the WD MyCloud from Mac OS X - but the finder / spotlight just doesn’t return any results at all.

So you say I have to “force it” to index the drive?

How do I know If I am connecting via SMB or AFP?

So If we have 3 different Mac OS computers in the house - we need to force indexing on all them?

Is this the only way to do it?

Is there not some way of locally searching the drive? 

I tried the WD MyCloud APP - but that interface has no Search function at all.

This seems to be a bit of an oversight.