Incredibly slow upload rates

Hello All, 

I appreciate there are numerous posts regarding this matter but all seem to be for specific file types and none seem to give me the solution to my problem. 

Which is: 

Upload speeds of less than 1 MB/s. I am really bothered about this because I spent a long time researching which NAS to get and decided on this one as the UI was good for my girlfriend and family members to use. 

Anyway, 

I have Powerline adapters running from the router through to the home office. These communicate at a rate of 485mbps so about 60MB. The MyCloud 3TB is connected to the router, all cables are 5e. 

When I do a speed test, it comes back at 2mbps, a quater of 1 meg! I mean, that is unworkable. The max i’ve got it up to is 7MB/s but even that is too slow when I now my network can transfer data at 30MBps upload speed at least. 

Can anyone please help me. I was so looking forward to this purchase and, at the moment, it’s not working for me. There is obviouisly a fix for this because other people have them working fine. 

Yes, I have a solid green light. 

Yes, I have updated firmware, 

Are there any other questionas I should ask myself so I can get this system up and running as planned?

Thanks, 

JOe. 

I’d test without the Powerline adapters just to rule them out… Even the people reporting really slow speeds are reporting 10-20x what you’re seeing. :slight_smile:

Ok thanks guys,

I’ll connect the computer direct to the router, once I’ve got access to to the room! (girlfriend asleep in in there after night shift!)

I’ll report back the result.

Lin _ Admin - Sorry, I clear, I did mean write solid green light, what I mean is green light on back of drive to indicate gigabit connection (as opposed to yellow light). My fault for not being clearer.

Results to follow…

Ok, 

Moving the computer next to the router and connecting the computer direct to the router and then the WD direct to the router does not improve transfer speeds. 

This must mean that the powerline adapters are not the problem. 

Is this piece of equipment a piece of junk then or is there a solution? I cannot believe that WD would release a product which has such slow transfer speeds so i’m guessing there has to be a fix. 

Someone please help me reach my goal . 

Thank you. 

Joe, 

JoeSto wrote:

Moving the computer next to the router and connecting the computer direct to the router and then the WD direct to the router does not improve transfer speeds. 

Is everything in that way Gigabit Ethernet?  (LED on the back of the Cloud is GREEN, Solid (not the flashing one)) and your computer reports Gigabit Ethernet, and you’re sure your PC is using the cabled connection and not the WiFi connection?

Yes to all questions…

What OS? What router?  How are you doing the speed test?

I think you may well be right. 

I am just about to leave now to return it to the shop from which I bought it with the aim for a full refund. 

Very dissapointed. 

Hi Tnynyn , 

Sorry, only just seen your reply, thanks for looking to help me. 

I’ve actually given up now and about to leave to take it back for a refund. I’m operating Mac OS X Mavericks and using a Brightbox 2 Router. I’m using a generic LAN speed test which i’ve used for some time now and i’ve relied on before. To be honest this part isn’t my strong point but when I compare the results using that app to my USB 3.0 HDD it gives accurate results and when I actually use a stopwatch to time it also comes out with roughly the same speed as the LAN speed test. 

Thank you again, 

I wish there was a way of making this work but even the WD guy on the phone said they are having problems with Mavericks. So…off I go to the store. 

Cheers, 

joe. 

Hi josto,

I think your problems lies with the Bright box 2, it has only 100 Mbs ports, only the wan port is gigabit speed.

Hi Pacific Dollar, 

Thanks for having a look into this. Are you sure your correct about the brightbox 2? There are 4 LAN ports, number 4 is labelled as a GigE Port and that’s also how it’s descirbed in the specifications. 

It still doesn’t solve the problem as, if you can clarify for me, If I have the computer cannected to a 100Mbs port and the drive connected to the LAN GigE port then even if the router could transfer at Gig speed to the drive, the computer can’t get that data to the router quick enough due to the computer being connected to a 100Mbs port.

Is my thinking correct? 

So i need a router with more than 1 GigE port? 

Thanks for helping. 

Joe. 

Also, 

Pacific Dollar, 

when I was on the phone to WD they got me to plug direct into the computer, I still got slow transfer speeds then. We’re talking less than a MB per second at times. Any thoughts?

JoeSto wrote:

Also, 

Pacific Dollar, 

when I was on the phone to WD they got me to plug direct into the computer, I still got slow transfer speeds then. We’re talking less than a MB per second at times. Any thoughts?

So when plugged directly into your PC, is the MBL’s network LED solid green?  Or solid yellow? 

Solid green when direct to computer, 

Always solid green in all cases. 

Have you tried connecting via Samba (smb://MyCloud/sharename) instead of AFP?

No, 

I didn’t try this. I just tried everything the guy on the phone and the hints and tips on this WD Community.

I didn’t know Samba existed, or indeed what it is. But even still, it shouldn’t require this much troubleshooting. 

Believe me, i’m not a hater of this product, I desperately want it to work. The store offered me an exchange to another WD MyCloud but I just opted for a refund as I couldn’t be bothered with having to troubleshoot so much to get it to do what it’s supposed to do. 

If a solid solution is found though, I will go out an buy it again. I’m now researching GigE Switches as my router only has 1 GigE port. Would running it through a switch slow it down (ie: 2 would reduce it by half, 3 devices by a third and so on and so on?)

Again, thank you for your help on this, maybe I will purchase this again if I can be assured it will work. The only nagging issue is, when directly connected to computer it was still extremely slow. 

Thank you, 

Joe., 

Also, 

To reboot the device took around about an hour sometimes. 

The WD guy said that this is not right at all. (When I was on the phone to him it took around 20 minutes to reboot)

To do a total factory reset took 4 hours. 

Joe. 

Furthermore, 

If i did get the transfer speeds to an acceptable level, 

I read somewhere today that you can’t run your iphoto libraray from your MyCloud. 

Is this correct>? 

If it is, then it’s not suitable for what I want it for anyway :-/

Thanks to everyone who is helping. 

JoeSto wrote:

I read somewhere today that you can’t run your iphoto libraray from your MyCloud. 

As far as I know, it’s not technically possible to use ANY NAS to host an iPhoto library.    iPhoto REQUIRES an HFS+ file system, which no NAS will satisfy.

Yes, there’s lots of workarounds, but they all have various limitations.

But, I’m not a Mac user, so I may not know all the tricks to making other things work…  

Ok, 

Thanks TonyPh. 

Appreciate the time you’ve taken. I’ll come up with another solution I think as I’ve never got to the bottom of the slow transfer rates anyway. 

Joe.