Increase read/write speed of G Speed Shuttle XL

I have a Thunderbolt 3, G-Speed Shuttle XL with ev series bay adaptors. I’m only a 5k iMac and using a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adaptor.

I’m only getting 550 read/write, RAID 5 with 40% of my space available and the G-Tech Shuttle Utility not running in the background.

If I add another drive and reformat/rebuild my RAID how much faster will my speeds be?

Short of changing to RAID 0, is there anything else I can do to increase my read/write speeds?

Thanks!

The speed increases with individual drive capacity. Meaning if the drives inside are 8TB or larger they will have the greatest speeds because they would be helium drives which are 20-30% faster than air drives. If you are using a unit wil 4TB or 6TB drives in it they don’t perform as fast. Also with the ev bay you are utilizing the speed of 6 drives in RAID5.

Thanks Rydia,

I guess my question is this:

• If I add a 6 TB drive to one of my ev slots/bays and reformat the drive, (to use 7 vs 6 drives), how much will my performance increase?

Thanks!

Maybe a few MB. Probably up to about 650 or so. But you would have to delete the entire RAID and then re-create it with now 7 disks.

Thanks Rydia. That’s what I needed to know.

Joel