Incorrect DNS server address without internet connection

Hi,

When I connect WD TV to a network without internet (wired or wireless), WD TV can’t find windows shared folders. When I go to “Check Connection” in “Network Setting”, I see 2 X mark and receive “incorrect DNS server address” error. When I connect WD TV to a network with internet connection, the problem is solved and I can find windows shared folders.

I have two network at home, one with internet and the other without internet. The second one is the network that I want to connect with WD TV. I have no problems when connecting my Apple TV, Sony TV and other devices to the network without internet.

Briefly speaking, I established a network without internet only for entertainments and need to connect WD TV to it. Can anyone help me to find what is wrong and how I can solve this problem?

Thank you

mkbmiw wrote:

I have tow network at home, one with internet and the other without internet. The second one is the network that I want to connect with WD TV. 

I don’t think your problem has anything to do with DNS.

If your two networks are actually separate IP subnets, it’s not going to be able find servers on the other network because the server discovery depends on broadcast protocols which do not function when crossing network boundaries.

Thanks for your reply.

My problem is not having two network. Suppose I have one network.

_ The problem is this _: I receive the error that I said when connecting to a network without internet and WD TV cannot find the shared folders.

The two networks are completely separate with two routers.

Have you any solution to solve the problem?

So are your servers and WDTV on the SAME network?   – or are the Servers on the OTHER network from the WDTV?

Yes, on the same network. Please forget the two networks.

I redifne the problem:

When I connect WD TV to my network without internet (wired or wireless), WD TV can’t find windows shared folders. When I go to “Check Connection” in “Network Setting”, I see 2 X mark and receive “incorrect DNS server address” error. When I turn on internet, the problem is solved and I can find windows shared folders.

When internet is off:

When internet is on:

Thanks

Sorry… I don’t have an answer for you, then.   I’ve not had any trouble with mine finding my servers when the internet is down at my home, which effectively would be the same thing…

I tried it a few days ago. Whether turned on without an internet connection or the internet disconnected my WDTV plays from the MBL Windows share. They are connected together by a 5 port switch that is then connected to the router. It’s flaky sometimes not working of gettime mime type errors.