Incorrect backup file counts with Smartware Pro and Ultimate Passport

I installed both WD Smartware Pro and WD Backup - After doing initial backups with both products to a 2TB Ultimate Passport drive I compared the backup file counts to the original files. Both products showed significantly less data for the backup device (actual byes, folders, and files) than the original files. WD backup reported less backup data countws than Smartware pro.

I than compared the original files (took a random check of multiple folders) to the backed up files and found all files and folders were copied correctly. The difference seems to be with the information displayed when you list the properties of the folders/files. I was pleased to see that my Outlook .pst’s were correct.

I like the Smartware product ( simple and clean, plus file history, and free) and would like to continue to use it regularly - but I am uncomfortable with the folder/file count differences.

This query probably falls under software, but there seems not to be a separate category for it. Any help and guidance is appreciated.

I have since found that when a folder contains a single folder followed by individual files, the backed up file count is zero and the difference between the original folder and backup is size of the last file in the imbedded folder. Rather than get any more messy here, I shall contact support - seems like a software issue.
thanks

Hopefully they’ll be able to help you figure out what the problem is. If possible, try sharing the outcome with the WD Community. It may be helpful to other Users in need.

Thank You! Called support who directed me to ‘Feedback’ on WD support page. I asked for a response back – doubtful I’ll get it. I have done some more checking – I tried retrieving the files with error counts as well as a normal ‘copy’ – both worked fine with the counts that are in the original files.