Inconsistent / choppy Netflix playback

On my WD TV Live Plus, Netflix playback has never been smooth.  Got it back when it first came out and it was far worse then but is still far from being close to an acceptable smoothness.  There are just random video frame skips/jumps every few seconds for no reason (no audio problems).  A little background for those wondering: have tried every fw to date for it as I was always keeping up on the fw releases so on 1.04.31_B as of right now of course.  Running wired as I do not have a wireless adapter for it.  12mbps internet connection.  Netflix on Roku, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and PC *are* smooth.  Only the WD TV Live Plus has this stuttering that is really noticeable on pans and zooms.  Local and network 720p and 1080p video runs fine on the WD TV Live Plus and yes, I have tried resetting it’s setting multiple times.

Can anyone help me get this thing to playback Netflix with an acceptable framerate?  It’s so distracting in makes the Netflix feature near unusable imho.

EDIT: Just tried 1.05.04_B, still same. :frowning:

Nogib wrote:

Can anyone help me get this thing to playback Netflix with an acceptable framerate?  It’s so distracting in makes the Netflix feature near unusable imho.

It’s based on how the videos are ENCODED.   

There’s nothing you can do about it.

Random, unevenly spaced video chops are definitely NOT normal, nor has Netflix encoded things that badly as the same movie/show on any other Netflix device does not exhibit this at all.

Nogib wrote:

Random, unevenly spaced video chops are definitely NOT normal, nor has Netflix encoded things that badly as the same movie/show on any other Netflix device does not exhibit this at all.

But you have no way of knowing which of the multiple streams NetFlix creates for each and every video is used by those two different devices.

iPads use a different formatted stream than TiVo, which uses a different stream from WD, which uses a different stream from…  etc. etc.

NetFlix is KNOWN to behave this way…   Files that play fine on my PC don’t play on my iPad.   Files that play fine on my WD don’t play well on the TiVo.

But regardless.   You asked the question, and the answer remains:   there’s nothing you can do about it.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

But you have no way of knowing which of the multiple streams NetFlix creates for each and every video is used by those two different devices.

iPads use a different formatted stream than TiVo, which uses a different stream from WD, which uses a different stream from…  etc. etc.

NetFlix is KNOWN to behave this way…   Files that play fine on my PC don’t play on my iPad.   Files that play fine on my WD don’t play well on the TiVo.

But regardless.   You asked the question, and the answer remains:   there’s nothing you can do about it.

Dang…  Just makes the whole Netflix feature near unusable unfortunately.  Well, still would be interested to hear from other users how their Netflix experience is on the WDTV Live Plus just for the sake of curiousity.

Nogib wrote:

Dang…  Just makes the whole Netflix feature near unusable unfortunately.  Well, still would be interested to hear from other users how their Netflix experience is on the WDTV Live Plus just for the sake of curiousity.

You mean like the post you just quoted where Tony said many Netflix titles play just fine for him on his WDs, while others are poorly encoded?