In search of advice for buying Western Digital 2 TB

Hi,

I’m on Windows 7, I have a 2TB Hitachi hard drive that’s working fine but I find the price for the ‘Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS’ to be just right and thinking of buying two. But I’m hearing that there is a major issue with this drive and that it would shut down when there’s no activity in 8 seconds? Can’t I just keep it on all the time with the Power Management?

Also, can Windows 7 people describe your experience with this type of drive? Thanks.

I use this drive as my main system drive and it works fine for me.

I wanted lots of cheap storage *(I  copy around lots of GB’s) and it doesn’t seem especially slow.

But be sure to install Windows AFTER you have AHCI enabled. I stupidly installed Windows in IDE (slower) mode and now I can’t switch to AHCI. It seems Win 7 x64 in IDE mode writes crappy partitions that cause a lot of BIOS / motherboards to hang if you try to boot up with them in AHCI mode.

To fix this it sounds like you have to delete all the partitoons (not format them) and reinstall Windows. I don’t want to bother with this yet. Whether or not you don’t have the booting up problem you still have to enable the msahci drivers (or iastorv) in Windows 7 before turning on AHCI in the BIOS.

Does the drive shut  itself down every 8 seconds if it is inactive?