Important Notice Regarding Single USB Drives Greater than 2 TB's and WD TV Products

wevowva wrote:

…  No firmware safeguard to preempt ruining the partition… 

Uhm, pardon?   Yes there is.   If you plug a 3TB (single drive) USB device into ALL current WD products, it will be completely ignored.   So, yes, there IS a firmware safeguard against that.

no foresight BEFORE the launch of at least the 3G WD drives?

Seriously?  You would expect them to delay the launch of one of the world’s first 3TB drives because a tiny fraction of them would be plugged into a media streamer?   Please…   That’s like saying McDonalds should delay the Cheese because the Tomatos are bad.

Hi,

I have also used the WD 2TB HDD (WD Elements) with the TV Live (HD) and find that the 2TB will NOT work with the Media player box.

Unlike others I have not had it destroying file data, but the HDD is just not recognised by the player. The player will scan for the USB device on power-up or if plugged in afterwards but does not show this as an attached device.

The 2TB drive is formatted as NTFS (as supplied from purchase - late 2010), and the Media player has the latest firmware upgrade. The HDD works fine when plugged direct to a PC (Win XP).

I am amazed that WD did not at least try one of their higher capacity HDDs with the Media player before release !

It would seem that the Notice should read “USB drives 2TB or Greater”.

I have contacted WD tech support and have been advised that reformatting to FAT32 or anything else would NOT cure the problem.

I also use a Samsung 1.5TB (FAT32 format) without any problems so the problem would seem to be sizes between 1.5 & 2TB of any formatting.

I am disappointed that after 4-5 months that some work-around has not been forthcoming.

I would also like to know if repartitioning to 0.5 + 1.5TB (or of any other split) would enable the HDD to work with the Media player.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

…If you plug a 3TB (single drive) USB device into ALL current WD products, it will be completely ignored.   So, yes, there IS a firmware safeguard against that. 

Explain then please how folks posting on this very site have lost data?  “Ignored” is not acceptable… some kind of qualitative notice, on packaging or when trying to use the drive is minimum.

…Seriously?  You would expect them to delay the launch of one of the world’s first 3TB drives because a tiny fraction of them would be plugged into a media streamer?  

Are you serious?  No, the WDTV firmware team was not prepared for the release of a major hardware upgrade from their company.

Please…   That’s like saying McDonalds should delay the Cheese because the Tomatos are bad.

Serious?  What I’m saying is at McDonald’s the guys responsible for fresh tomatoes would be sacked before the burger with good tomatoes was ultimately sold when ordered.

Geez, enough apologies…   I love this little box, but I’m not going to drink the Coolaid and ignore real quality issues.  How about a thread explaining why, as copiously documented on this board, every fix made to firmware costs users already working features?  Ah, wait… I hear faintly the sound of more apologies.  I know that was a cheapshot, but here’s a deal… no more turning up the flame if we all agree to be “serious.”

This has been fixed in firmware in testing.

1 Like

Great!  When can I get that firmware?

Greattt!!

Hi Guy_K, when that firmware will be published (at least like beta release)…?¿?¿?¿

I have  1x 3TB Seagate Go Flex + 1x 3TB MyBook WD. I would be happy collaborating with testing.

Thanks in advance!!

MAGICIAN

I bought the WD tv LIVE PLUS and a 3TB WD Hard drive today. Only assuming both brands would go great together… Awesome! I’m really excited that I have to back up all my files and take this ■■■■ back!  

buzsaw5 wrote:

I bought the WD tv LIVE PLUS and a 3TB WD Hard drive today. Only assuming both brands would go great together… Awesome! I’m really excited that I have to back up all my files and take this ■■■■ back!  

What’s that supposed to mean?  We just said that we fixed the 2TB limitation on the WD TV’s.  Have you updated the firmware, yet?

[Edit]

My Bad.  This will be fixed soon.

That sir was a nice fail …

Can’t imagine how this is a top priority problem at WD, considering this company is huge + it is one of the larger HD makers and it is still not fixed.

bill_s wrote:

buzsaw5 wrote:

What’s that supposed to mean?  We just said that we fixed the 2TB limitation on the WD TV’s.  Have you updated the firmware, yet?

[Edit]

So was this fixed 2 weeks ago when “Guy_k” posted or is this still not fixed. I have had a WD TV and a 3tb hardirve sitting around for over 3 months. The WD TV player hasent even been plugged in yet because its useless at this point to me. I am obviously past the return policy so hoping this fix is really going to come out?

Is there anyway to get a straight answer from WD on this ??

JCinAZ wrote:

bill_s wrote:

buzsaw5 wrote:

[Edit]

So was this fixed 2 weeks ago when “Guy_k” posted or is this still not fixed. I have had a WD TV and a 3tb hardirve sitting around for over 3 months. The WD TV player hasent even been plugged in yet because its useless at this point to me. I am obviously past the return policy so hoping this fix is really going to come out?

Is there anyway to get a straight answer from WD on this ??

Sounds like the testing has been a success and it will be included in the next firmware update.

markinuk is right. WD has fixed the problem and hopefully it will be included in the next release. You have to remember that this is not the only issue that WD is working on. It takes a lot of work for a company to release a new software version. They cannot release new versions every time they fix one issue.

I know it is hard, but try to be patient until the next software release. Judging by the previous releases, you won’t have to wait too long. 

1 Like

I just bought 3T essential for my WD TV live plus. I used 2 1Ts before and never  had any problem.

I used the first 1T to store movies from A to R, and second 1T to stor movies from S to Z.

After  I transfered all movies from 2 1Ts to this new 3T, then plug it to TV Live plus.

I found out the movies in the first 1T can play without no problem, and movies in second 1T got error msg.

That means I can play movies A to R, but can’t play movies S to Z.

The error msg is somthing like that “can’t not support format of media”.

And then I read that could damage the data on the 3T harddrive in this forum, so I unplug it right way from TV Live plus,

and test on my laptop, luckly every movie is ok so far.

So I guess I should just wait new firmwire coming out to fix this problem.

Does the new 1.04.31_B support 3T WD essential HD already?

smilodon wrote:

Does the new 1.04.31_B support 3T WD essential HD already?

No, the 3T problem still exists in that version. As already stated several times in this thread, WD Staff has stated that they have fixed the problem and the firmware is in testing but it has not been released yet. No one knows exactly when it will be released.

I am desperating…

How much we will have to wait for firmware to fix !!! ?¿?¿?¿?¿???

Which would you prefer?

WD waiting until the patches pass all of their tests?

Or WD just saying “here… this might work… or it might corrupt your drive and lose all your data… good luck!!”

J lrippeth, if you are using IE9 please visit the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/td-p/167170

Thanks for the IE9 info.

The blank message was just thanking everyone for keeping us informed on the updates. 

I was so excited to hear that they completed the fix, that I went out and bought a second MYBook 3TB.  Wanted to have the time to get it all set up before the release.  (that much data takes a long time to sort and copy)

I collect Old Time Radio, Public Domain Movies, Audio Books, and Music so there is lots of data.

I always use the disks in pairs one on my Desktop backing up the remotely used one.

Currently I am using two MY book 2TB, but they are full.

Over  my Linksys Wireless network I can access the rest of my files, but they tend to hang and 'stutter’occaisionaly especially when there are other devices on the network.

I am quite excited about the fix, but am willing to wait a bit or a solid bug free release.

jlr

I really can’t understand how many of you expect hardware vendors to support technology that is brand new or yet to be released. 3TB drives are new and significantly different in design yet you are b!tching that WDTV doesn’t support them.

You are lucky (IMO) that the latest FW does address this issue. In the past the resolution from a vendor has been a new product which means you have to buy another unit. You should be thanking WD for not taking your money or charging you for a FW update.