I'm now in trouble

Update went well yesterday night… rebooted and came up fine…

stopped all the typical services, and stopped the two wdphotodbmergerd and wdmcserverd permanently and tried to make the device sleep. Left it in attempted sleep mode for the night.

Woke up this morning thinking that the device needed a reboot… 

and that is when it went into initialization mode and stayed there… 

hard power pull the plug twice…

reset button hold 40 seconds while plugging in the power (twice)

SSH port 22 Connection refused…

I’m in trouble since I cannot SSH into to fix… With the new firmware, it seems that the ability to SSH into the device before total initialization has been removed, where-as the previous version of firmware allowed you to SSH into the device while initialization is occuring… why the change? now we have no ability to stop clashing services?

Apparently the reset did work so I’m getting the “Getting Started” Web panel… then the Stuck Device Initialization screen.

Ralphael, let it sit for a few hours.    It is probably be FSCK’ing the datavolume. 

SSH daemon isn’t started yet if it’s still initializing the device.  It’s been that way for at least two versions, IIRC…

1 Like

when in doubt… search… 

apparently many devices stays in initialization for up to 3 hours… this isn’t right… really…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ralphael, let it sit for a few hours.    It is probably be FSCK’ing the datavolume. 

SSH daemon isn’t started yet if it’s still initializing the device.  It’s been that way for at least two versions, IIRC…

thanks Tony… actually I was SSH’ing into the drive with the last version while initialization… which was why I was able to cancel the two clashing services to fix my problems. 

after an hour… it came back… man do I ever have something to say about this!!!

Ralphael wrote:

With all that fun you have with MyCloud you should pay double price, isn’t it?

Count_Dooku wrote:

Ralphael wrote:

Good to see you in here Count Dooku!! and during the day too!!

Yes, I’m having a lot of fun… and I did pay double price since I bought both the MyCloud and MyBook (unfortunately the MyBook is only a hitachi drive :frowning: ).

Ralphael wrote:

Count_Dooku wrote:

Ralphael wrote:

Good to see you in here Count Dooku!! and during the day too!!

Yes, I’m having a lot of fun… and I did pay double price since I bought both the MyCloud and MyBook (unfortunately the MyBook is only a hitachi drive :frowning: ).

Why do you complain about that Hitachi drive. Statistics over more than 20’000 consumer drives have shown that Hitachi have lowest failure rates!

@Count_Dooku, actually I wouldn’t care if it was left in its original casing, but I was thinking of getting the ex2 enclosure without drives and ripping the red 4tb from the cloud and I need a matching pair of red. :stuck_out_tongue: Just a passing thought…