If you have encryptet your WD drive - Remove encryption or all data will be lost in case of hd fail!

I had a WD mybook duo for now 3 years - with 2x 4TB WD red inside - and unluckily with password protection.
I thought it might be good if someone steals my external drive that he cant access the data …

THAT WAS A BAD IDEA - as yesterday the WD software told me that theres a problem with my RAID1 settings - and that meant DEAD TO MY DATA NOW !!

I cannot access my data - even its RAID1 and maybe just 1 drive is faulty - BOTH ARE ENCRYPTED
AND THERES NO WAY TO GET AROUND THIS ANYMORE

I thought the password is stored inside a controller of the casing - but now I have to realize they encrypt the HD - and with RAID1 this means ALL DATA IS LOST

I tried to run the WD mybook duo with only 1 drive - but the problem stays
WD Unlocker asks for a password - but only tells me “wrong password”

OK - my QNAP NAS is already ordered and luckily I have my data backedup on the internet.

BUT I WILL NEVER EVER SET A PASSWORD ON AN EXTERNAL DRIVE !!

Hello,

I am very sorry for the inconvenience you have gone through, on this case i would suggest to contact support for further assistance:

https://support.wdc.com/Support/case.aspx?lang=en

Data recovery from encrypted Mac hard drive is possible with Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery program. But the condition is not to lose the password since the software requires the user to unlock the hard drive. Unfortunately, the software doesn’t support raid recovery. But anyways, you have shared a valuable point from your experiences. I once destroyed encryption using Terminal, and all files were washed. Luckily I had the backup too. Also note that, after decryption is destroyed there is no meaning of performing data recovery since the hard drive blocks are filled up with garbage data resulting in overwriting.

Donald - I didnt forget my password.

The drive was RAID1 and encountered a RAID error - until now I couldnt even “see” the volumes.
Luckily I have a PC so I could use drive diagnostic there and see the SMART data (have to copy that next).

I try with the data recovery program - but on first run it didn’t even see the drive.
I guess the RAID1 is damaged and thus the problems. But I will try the next days what I can do.

Hi Phil,

I might have the same problem as you. What are the steps you’ve taken using a PC to enable you to copy the files?