If you are desperately waiting for a new update... Read this!

So history repeats?

I went from gen1 to gen3, so I skiped that lesson, but I don’t repeat mistakes.

whydo wrote:

That’s not a major issue, you can still stream 4GB or larger video files via network share. They added Fat32 storage recently, potentially they could add NTFS later, but I’m not sure.

My wdtv streaming works fine as well, but the experience is objectively worse in almost every way when compared to using KODI/XBMC on the Fire TV. The wdtv is just a completely redundant product in the Android box and sideloading era of 2015.

Can it read exFAT drives, mean you can have 4+GB files?

“just because it’s no problem for you doesn’t mean it’s the same for everybody.”

That applies to your opinions and user case scenario as well. Autoframe, for instance, is a non-issue to me, who’s watched 1000’s of downloaded HD videos on the Fire TV already, and it won’t be an issue for the average user, either. There’s definitely some advantages to watching specific videos on the wdtv, but overall Kodi (on the Fire TV) is just a better experience and offers way more possibilities.

Again, for anyone reading, forget the wdtv and get an Android box and sideload Kodi/SPMC on it. I’d highly recommend the Fire TV over the rest, largely because of Amazon Prime on demand, which is pretty good if you watch a lot of mainstream tv shows.

“Can it read exFAT drives, mean you can have 4+GB files?”

No, it only reads Fat32 at the moment. But you can still stream a 4GB+ video file stored on a NTFS, etc drive over network share.

In my scenario, I store most of videos on my PC, which has about 9TB worth of HDD’s connected to it.

I don’t know what you are talking about. I have 2 wdtv.  the 2011 and the 2014 model.

On both i can stream 25 , 30 , 40gb mkv and m2ts files.

whydo wrote:

Autoframe, for instance, is a non-issue to me, who’s watched 1000’s of downloaded HD videos on the Fire TV already, and it won’t be an issue for the average user, either. 

Cause you know what sources the average user watches from. Got it.

Again, for anyone reading, forget the wdtv and get an Android box

I hope your kidding?  I will never buy a android box.  There plain awful!   

I don’t think there’s such thing as “one size fits all”, we all have different needs and objectives.

It could be interesting and informative to know why ppl have different preferences.

For example, I would like to have a FLAC player with bit perfect spdif output (optical or coax) upto 24bits/192Khz.

Compared to the windows machine that I have, WDTV FLAC (optical output) sounds bad.

I also like android, but I’ve read that openelec could do what I want.

“I hope your kidding?  I will never buy a android box.  There plain awful!”

No objective reasons there, but okay, that’s your opinion. As a retrogamer, I had to reply to you, though, because Android boxes are awesome for running emulators on. On my Fire TV, I have a NES, SNES, DS, GBA, N64, PS1 emulator that I’ve sideloaded and launch directly from the Kodi interface. It’s great multi-tasking to go from say, watching a video, to loading Snes9X and playing a game, to going back to watching a video again; all through a fast and snappy user interface customisable skin.

I was told that an update is being worked on to fix the reboot problem.

Redo1 wrote:

Told by whom?

What reboot problem?

Mr-Wolf wrote:

Smallnetbuilder WD TV review says that they have exactly the same hardware:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/multimedia-voip/multimedia-voip-reviews/32463-western-digital-wd-tv-reviewed

Hi,

I downloaded both GPL Sources and I can say… Correct.

Both have exact the same mips kernel source and defconfig.

The only difference I could find is in the .config of the firmware build. The WD-TV includes a few other resources.

Just now I make a complete diff of the whole source tree, lets look how much work it would be for WD to make a new FW.

Very interesting… WD-TV Live SMP codename Palace and WD-TV codename Liverpool… I can find in the rootfs-skeleton’s of both devices both names. This is the next hint that both devices are the same.

It’s a shame for WD that they don’t want to fix the bugs for the WD-TV Live SMP, they could it do, should only be a matter of changing a few strings in their config.

Cheers

JochenKauz

JochenKauz wrote:

It’s a shame for WD that they don’t want to fix the bugs for the WD-TV Live SMP, they could it do, should only be a matter of changing a few strings in their config.

Everytime I think of that it blows my mind.

I was recovering well, but now my mind is blown again.

And yet we still have people like TechFlaws defending this product and company.

whydo wrote:

Are you kidding, Techflaws holds our rears over the fire about stuff all the time.

Hi,
I don’t know if this GPL source is a working base for a system, but I think I should start a little project to make a merge into WD-TV Liverpool release.
I talked to another member of our crew, and he looks at the GPL sources at this moment and the loader.
Currently I try to get a working compile system for the sources (what the heck… Ubuntu 09.10 32Bit?). Perhaps our Crew can build a a custom port, based on the WD-TV Liverpool sources, for our loved SMP.
As far as I can see yet, we have a MIPS kernelsource, a rootfs, a toolchain… let’s look what is possible, or not.

I can not promise anything!

Cheers

JochenKauz

Redo1 wrote:

Hope this is true, cause we could save a lot of time.

It should be easy todo, but…

_We also do not have any plans for new firmware update for this device. _I advise you to look into the new WD TV we’ve announced recently as it will come with newer and faster firmware than your device.

the interest in selling new devices is higher,

Cheers

JochenKauz

whydo wrote:

Reading comprehension fail? I’m defending the product from overgeneralizing whiners who insist the device has to **bleep** for everybody just because they are running into (self-imposed) issues, simply because all my WDTVs still do what they’ve been doing for the last few years (on the latest firmwares no less): play high-bitrate content from USB and NAS which is why I’m still recommending it to friends.

I’m constantly criticizing the company for

• not being upfront about bugs
  • not being upfront about EOL of the SMP
  • not backporting the MP4 fix to the SMP (and missing this bug in the first place)
  • apparently missing the boat on the Android player generation (while at the same time doing a survey asking users on input on what they want to see in a new player)
  • posting pointless help suggestions to people complaining about issues on Amazon reviews while proper workarounds have been found and discussed on this forum
  • not investing some man hours to find out once and for all what’s causing network trouble for some people

What really annoys me is that they just don’t seem to care how much they are hurting the company’s reputation. And for what?

Well put and good summary of legitimate concerns