If memory serves correct it looked something like this @*?"#%*& now writing to m Drive

Western Digital what can I say,

hi people I am joining the ranks of those who are in some kind of trouble because they put faith in a Western Digital product. I think their would not be as many people here if we had more information about this hard drive before we purchased it.

I am an announcer and like so many others I too have (or had) information that I need to save because it needs to be used often. Now to be fair I have a 500Gb drive that’s been on for about a year 24/7 with no problem and that’s why I think I bought this one. This is a My Book Essential external hard drive. With WD quality and USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 connectivity.

It’s partitioned and I have a drive called Information (I) and another called Music (M). Now people let me set this up for ya. The 2 TB is plugged into the rear of the tower with plenty of ventilation. At the time I was working on a jump drive cut and paste off the net, not doing anything with the My Book when I see in the corner of the task bar a message saying not writing to m drive, then it fades away. A few moments go by and I see not writing to I drive and it fades away. I think to myself (That can’t be right). So I click on the my computer icon on the desk top and at the same time I see that some of the icons are gone, but when My Computer opens I see Information (I) and Music (M).

People the smile went away when I right clicked on music and the word disappeared and the word local appeared with no drive letter and the same for information. At that point I went to system restore thinking it might be able to help but the words came up saying that system can not restore I or m drive because it is removed from the system do you want to continue. I at that point clicked out of the program and shut down the PC. I took the 2 TB up to the kitchen and plugged it into my laptop. At first a ray of hope when the system said that a drive needs to be checked and do you want the system to fix any problems you know I clicked yes. At that moment the system locks up.

When I unplug the 2 TB drive things go back to normal on the laptop and P.C. Is this, in fact a problem a lot of people are having or just me. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this. By the way the drive is registered on the site and it’s only 35 days old.

HI there, looks like data corruption to me.

Try TestDisk, which is a free data recovery software and is able to repair damaged partitions.

SInce the drive itself seems to still work then you should be able to recover the data with software.

Good luck.

@*?"#%*& now writing to m Drive. Was not coming from the My Book, it was coming from the task bar. It’s a message from windows.