IE9 and WDC Forum Compatibility

Noticed that after I updated to IE9 I was unable to post to this forum.  Attempting to do so resulted in “empty posts”.  Very annoying.

To fix the issue, go to Tools, then select Compatibility Settings, and then add WDC.com to the compatibility list, then select OK.  IE9 will then reload the page and you’ll be good to go.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info. :smiley:

Our community hasn’t been made fully compatible with IE 9, yet.  It should be soon, so if you can help get this info out to people when you see blank posts, it might save some frustration with users.  As for Firefox 4.0, it’s not compatible at all, at this time.  So, those using Firefox 4.0 will have to reinstall 3.6 (or use another compatible browser) in order to keep their community activities bug free.  I’m sure our team is working on Firefox 4.0 as well.

Bill_S

1 Like

bill_s wrote:

Our community hasn’t been made fully compatible with IE 9, yet.  It should be soon, so if you can help get this info out to people when you see blank posts, it might save some frustration with users.  As for Firefox 4.0, it’s not compatible at all, at this time.  So, those using Firefox 4.0 will have to reinstall 3.6 (or use another compatible browser) in order to keep their community activities bug free.  I’m sure our team is working on Firefox 4.0 as well.

Bill_S

Thanks Bill, and will do. 

Perhaps you can make a “sticky” so everyone sees it.

Nice information Thanks

bill_s wrote:

As for Firefox 4.0, it’s not compatible at all, at this time.  So, those using Firefox 4.0 will have to reinstall 3.6 (or use another compatible browser) in order to keep their community activities bug free.

Umm… say what?

After my HD died and I had to reinstall Windows, when I went to the Mozilla site, v4 was no longer a “release candidate” and was the only download readily available.

I’ve been using Firefox 4 ever since I returned to the boards.  I’ve had no issues or bugs.  In what way would it be “not compatible at all”?

All this time I’ve been using it and I didn’t even know it wasn’t supposed to be working for me. :smileyvery-happy:

RG, what you don’t see is how weird your posts look to the NON FF4 users.

They look something like this:

RoofingGuy wrote:

Blahdee friggin’ blah blah.  Flarn and nasty, *bleep*ing old franting snotwads.

:smileyvery-happy:  JK, by the way!  :)

ROFL.  I echo that sentiment. 

But seriously (as serious as I can get.  I’m still laughing my butt off), does FF4 have a compatibility mode like IE 9?

I couldn’t see anything in the settings, so I went to the help pages.

Couldn’t find anything in the help about turning something like that on either.

But I did find a discussion about it:

Firefox doesn’t need a “compatibility mode” like IE has - Firefox has always been more compatible with W3C standards than earlier versions of IE were and doesn’t need that “mode” like IE does to display web pages made for older versions of IE without breaking those web pages.>

Unfortunately that’s just not true. Here is an example of a site that’s not viewing correctly in 4.0. That compatibility mode is still needed. ___________________>

This page looks fine to me in Firefox 4.0. ___________________> Try clearing your browser cache. Tools > Clear Recent History… - hit Details and make sure only Cache is selected, then select Everything and hit the Clear Now button.

I tried the page that the poster said had been broken and it seems to display fine for me, too.

So, it seems as if some people have problems getting pages to work, and others have no issues.

If I knew what was different in my settings (other than the clean install on the PC and the clean install of Firefox), I’d share.

It may be (as quick guess) that it is some plugin for FireFox, and not FireFox itself, that causes some pages to be broken for some users.   That would at least explain the noted behaviour, but I don’t know which plugin(s) to suggest disabling.

Well, either that, or I got the magic special copy of FF4, just like I keep getting the magic special WDTV firmwares, where things work for me that don’t work for anybody else.:stuck_out_tongue:

For reference, here’s what my FF4 has installed:

Extensions:

• AVG Safe Search 10.0.0.1209
  • Java Console 6.0.24
  • RealPlayer  Browser Record Plugin 14.0.1

PlugIns:

• Adobe Acrobat 10.0.1.434
  • Google Earth Plugin 1.0.0.1
  • Google Update 1.2.183.29
  • Google Updater 2.4.2166.3772
  • iTunes Application Detector 1.0.1.1
  • Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.240.7
  • Java Platform SE6 U 24 6.0.240.7
  • Picasa 3.0.0.0
  • QuickTime Plugin 7.6.9.0
  • RealJukebox NS Plugin 12.0.1.609
  • RealPlayer Version Plugin 12.0.1.609
  • RealPlayer G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plugin (32-bit) 12.0.1.609
  • RealPlayer HTML5VideoShim Plugin (32-bit) 12.0.1.609
  • Shockwave Flash 10.2.153.1
  • Silverlight Plugin 4.0.60129.0
  • VLC Multimedia Plugin 1.1.8.0
  • Windows Live Gallery 15.4.3508.1109

Don’t know if this helps… but it seems like neither FF4, nor any of those plugins and extensions, are causing me any grief with any websites.  As I said, I had no clue that it “wasn’t supposed” to be working for me and that others were having issues.

This might be helpful RG, if other users will post their info as well.  I might be able to ship this info to the programmers to speed up the process.

1 Like

I sent another request for an update on this issue.

I switched to FF4.0 Sat and don’t seem to have any problems posting or connecting. I do see a lot of blank posts.

Joe

The moderators will clear them out.  But the key is for users to know that they have to set IE 9 to compatibility view for our forums.

lol. this is funniest Microsoft **** ever…

Website not compatible with browser… thats just stupid… (just another reason why never use IE).

I’m starting to really agree.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up here! I was wondering what was NOT happening…Keep up the good work! Some of us really appreciate it! Alanu

You are welcome.  A fix for this is supposed to be rolled out by the end of the month.  We’ll see what happens.

1 Like

The fix for the IE 9 no text issue has been rolled out.  So, I’m closing this thread.