IceCast Server Security - Sicurezza server Ice Cast

Hello,
I run a little experiment with the “app” Ice Cast on a WD Ex Ultra 2 and, unfortunately, I’ve to note that, altough the app works as expected, the configuration is very poor especially in terms of security.

The use case is when the ICE Cast server is exposed on Internet to share contents with some friends.
Main critical points:

• No way to change the default port.

• No way to change the default username/password of the admin interface.

The effects are:

• I can get a lot of info about the server very easily

• I can get the IP address of the connected devices (this is very bad).

Possibile solutions:

• Don’t expose the server on Internet.

• Turn SSH on and change the configuration of the server using the VI editor: not very user friendly and even dangeorous if you’re not an expert.

I honestly don’t understand why WD offers an “app” configured and configurable in such a rough way. I strongly advise against the exposure of the ICE cast server outside the local network and I hope that the configuration will be taken care of soon.

Ciao a tutti,
ho fatto un piccolo esperimento con l’ “app” Ice Cast su un WD Ex Ultra 2 e devo purtroppo constatare che, benchè l’app funzioni a dovere, la configurabilità dell’ “app” lascia molto a desiderare, specie sotto il profilo della sicurezza.
Il caso è quello in cui il server sia esposto sulla rete internet per condividere contenuti con amici.
Alcuni aspetti a mio avviso critici:

1. Nessuna possibilità di cambiare la porta di default del server (8000)

2. Nessuna possibilità di sostituire la username / password di default dell’interfaccia amministrativa del server.

3. Non dico qui come ottenere le info di cui sopra, ma è davvero facile.

I due effetti negativi sono:

• E’ possibile recuperare molte info sullo stato del server

• E’ possibile recuperare gli IP di chiunque sia collegato

Per risolvere due soluzioni brutte a piacere:

• Non usate il nas per esporre contenuti veso internet, limitandone l’uso nella sola LAN

• Attivate SSH e entrate dentro al NAS navigando ed editando i file di configurazione con VI: non proprio una soluzione “user friendly” e soprattutto pericolosa per i meno esperti.

Onestamente non capisco perchè WD offra una “app” configurata e configurabile in maniera così grossolana. Sconsiglio vivamente l’esposizione del server ICE cast fuori dalla rete locale e mi auguro che la configurazione sia presto curata.

Hey, rapo73. That’s why I don’t use Icecast because of his problems and disadvantages I was forced to change my dedicated server. I started looking for the suitable variants I didn’t have any money and I decided to find the most profitable server. I’ve been searching for 3 hours and I read a lot of forums and I found out about this site: gthost.com. I chose it because it has the same specs as the expensive sites, which provide dedicated sites have, also it’s cheaper, I pay only 50$ instead of paying 60-100$ for a server which is very good.