I want to view 36 TBs of movies, music, etc on WD TV Live Hub

I have over 15 TBs of data that I’d like to view using my WD TV Live Hub.  At the moment I am using a 2 TB My Passport on the rear USB port and the interntal 1 TB drive.  Both are nearly maxed out.  With this configuration I am able to enjoy 8,100 TV Shows, Movies, music tracks, and Concerts.  What I would like to do is the following:

Buy a My Cloud 2-bay or 4-bay empty enclosure, install 3 TB drives, attach to the rear USB 3.0 ports two more 3 TB drives, and then attach that to either of the two USB 2.0 ports or the Gigabit ethernet port on my WD TV Live Hub. 

With that I would have up to 18 TBs of data to be accessed from my WD TV Live Hub.  Will this work?  If it does work will I be able to do it again for the other USB 2.0 port with the same level of success?

Incidentally what are the total number of 3 TB drives that can be read by the WD TV Live Hub?

Buy a My Cloud 2-bay or 4-bay empty enclosure, install 3 TB drives, attach to the rear USB 3.0 ports two more 3 TB drives, and then attach that to either of the two USB 2.0 ports or the Gigabit ethernet port on my WD TV Live Hub

Pretty sure the My Cloud doesent have a USB “Out”  ie. can’t connect to your PC or the Live Hub via a USB cable

And connecting direct to the Live Hub via ethernet port … “apparently” that won’t work either

I say “apparently” … because i asked the same question to a long standing forum member …

he said  … Not directly.  You’d have to have something to negoiate between the 2

Something like a cheap switch should work, you can usually pick up one for $5 - $10

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-5-port-100Mbps-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418710093&sr=8-1&keywords=network+switch

As for “will it all work” … i don’t know, if i win the lottery then i’ll let you know :wink:

Sure - this can be done.   I have 16TB of movies so far and - with occasional gotchas - it all works fine.

1TB internal drive in WD TV Live Hub

3TB external USB WD Elements drive plugged into the WD TV Live Hub.  (I don’t use the 2nd USB port.)

4TB WD MyCLoud connected to my local network

3TB USB External hard drive plugged to back of the above MyCloud (some, but not all MyCloud have a USB port).

3TB WD MyCloud connected to my local network.

2TB WD My Book Live (older drive with essentially same capabilities as a MyCloud) connected to my local network.

That’s 16TB of movies, all available directly from the WD TV Live Hub.  And each of the above drives has an equal capacity USB drive connected to my home PC, that serves as a backup for the main drives.  All of the backup drive are visible on the network, so in theory, all 32TB of movies are viewable.  In addition, a 2nd TV with an “empty” WD TV Live media player can also connect to and play any of the 16TB of movies.  As can the home laptops and IPAD, which can “see” over Wi-Fi any of the 16TB of movies.

Both the WD TV Live Hub and the WD TV Live media player are (of course) also connected to local network.

Good Luck, RobertABradley

As a further clarification:  As JoeySmyth correctly points out above, you need a network to be able to do all of this.  Mine is a more complicated Cable Modem Router TO Wireless Wi-Fi Router (WD’s router because it includes 5 hard-wired gigabit Ethernet ports) TO an additional 8-port gigabit switch (similar to the switch JoeySmyth mentions and links to earlier in this thread). 

But a network switch - also called network hub (like the one mentioned) abd some cables are the only essential bits to connect a WD TV Live Hub or WD TV Live to one or many addtional network drives.

Good Luck