I want to save photoshop files to WD mybook essential 2TB

I currently have 1.74TB of free space on the drive but when i go to save a file from photoshop i get “cannot save as…because the disc is full”

I saved the same file to one of my other drives with no problem.

I have tried everything in the settings etc with no joy, it simply will not save the file!!! What is going on?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

How did you format the drive, in NTFS or FAT 32?  The only reason I can figure that you may be having that problem is if you formatted the drive in FAT 32, which has a file size limitation of 4 GB’s, and you’re trying to save a file that’s larger than 4 GB’s.  But, being an avid photoshop user, I can’t even imagine photoshop creating a file that’s 4 GB’s. 

You might try repartitioning and reformatting the drive to make sure that there are no corrupted sectors.  Just make sure to back up any data on the drive first, or you’ll lose that data.

1 Like

Hi there,

One thing i forgot to mention is that this drive was brand new on 23/06/2010 so it’s extremely unlikely to have any corrupted files on it. I copied 135GB of files to it from one of my portable drives to free up space on that drive and there were no problems copying the files.

Well, i re-formated the drive to NTFS after spending many hours backing up all the files onto the drive i took them off in the first place and then waited a further 24 hours for the drive to format and… still no joy… i even  tried reducing a file to a piddling 250kb Jpeg and i got the same response, “could not save…because the disc if full”

It seems my options are limited because i will now either have to save the files to a different drive and then copy them over to the WD drive later. (Not a very satisfactory solution because it means even more time spent managing  files)

Or, i take it back to PC World and see if they can sort the problem out or if not, exchange it for a different one.

I’m sorry to say, I’m not a very happy chappy :frowning:

Thankyou for taking the time to reply anyway

Regards

Vic.