I think it's the TIMEZONE (no Netflix, Hulu, YouTube)

I know this has been posted in a couple ways before (did a search, didn’t answer this specific problem), but I have narrowed it down through all manner of mucking about that I believe it is the TIME ZONE / NTP UPDATE FAIL which is causing all the trouble.

I have been using my WDTV LIVE PLUS for months (year or more, I forget) with Netflix and Hulu Plus, no problem.  Then one morning it “froze” and I unplug/rebooted it.  Now the TIME will NOT update and I believe that is causing SSL HANDSHAKE problems with those three login-based servies - Netflix, Hulu Plus, and YouTube.

I have two of these in my house - one works perfectly, even if I power cycle it - but the TIME is correct on that one.  The time on the failed one keeps hanging around 1/1/2000 or 12/31/1999 and refuses to update.  I have opened port 123, I have tried every network based event to trigger it to go look for the time (EVERYTHING else works fine) I haven’t plugged it into a public or DMZ, but that didn’t work for someone else anyway, and the OTHER WDTV works fine, so this one (on the same LAN) should work as it has been all along, also.

Why oh Why I don’t have an “update time NOW” button (gah) - but does anyone have any other suggestions?? 

arrrrrg.

Has the failed one ALWAYS been that far off?   The thing has a battery back-up on the clock, and (if it’s at all llke the newer WDTV SMP) if the clock drifts way too far off from the real time, it may not update.   (There’s a weird script that prevents the clock from syncing if it’s too far gone.)

If it was previously OK and now the time is not able to stay synced, it could be the battery has failed.

There’s a battery?!  Wow.  How very 80’s!  :slight_smile:

Whatever happened to non-volatile flash memory!

Ok, that’s a possibility - the clock is usually “normal” accurate - as it is with the other one in my house, but when I power cycle (after the freeze for example, and every time since then), it goes back to 12/31/1999 and starts counting up from there.

I will crack’er open and look for a battery!

…although if there is some sort of (ridiculous?) script preventing too-old-clock updating, I may still be screwed.

Thanks for the tip!

BmerMeUp wrote:

There’s a battery?!  Wow.  How very 80’s!  :slight_smile:

Whatever happened to non-volatile flash memory!

Flash memory doesn’t have a clock.  :)

If you indeed find the battery is dead and you elect to replace it, you can look at Custom Firmware for the Plus that allows root access.  From there, you can set the clock.  Once that’s done, you could roll back to regular firmware.

sorry to break your bubble,

but to my knowledge setting the time is not going to solve this

WDLXTV has to use ntp to update system time at every boot

and this must be done prior to dmaosd start, or you will have series system issues

so it’s not as easy as just log in and set system time

and even if ntp fails on WDLXTV, netflix still works

TonyPh12345 wrote:

(There’s a weird script that prevents the clock from syncing if it’s too far gone.)

Isn’t that part of the protocol? Cause I remember having seen this on PCs with dead CMOS batteries. The PC would start up, connect to the NTP server and not get the time cause it was way off. Probably a security feature?

Techflaws wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

(There’s a weird script that prevents the clock from syncing if it’s too far gone.)

Isn’t that part of the protocol? Cause I remember having seen this on PCs with dead CMOS batteries. The PC would start up, connect to the NTP server and not get the time cause it was way off. Probably a security feature?

not sure about the protocol issue

in WDLXTV if you want to update the system time, it lets you do it no problem

but once you’ve updated it, dmaosd beggings to do some very odd things

enough that the dev’s over there have it documented

so then as for NTP, WDLXTV attempts to do it before dmaosd starts

but if that does’t happen, netflix, and other services continue happily without issues

even if the time is wrong

and yes it always defaults to 12/31/1999

Techflaws wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yes, it’s a security feature of a sort.    If the clock source is way out of sync with the system clock, the system assumes the clock source is no longer valid.

It’s kind of a Catch-22 – you have to log in via the CLI on the WDTV and force an update to the system clock using an option on the command which is not present in the startup script.

We have the same problem and confirm our date is 12/31/1999.

A fix would be nice or time for a new box.

Same issue here, my WDTV Live has been showing 12/31/1999 for a few weeks now on power up and doesn’t update.

If you open the box carefully you should be able to replace the battery.

Hi, I have the same problem,

I have two devices and both failed appr. 2 weeks ago - they don’t get the proper date (showing 1999).

I do NOT think its the battery (they are >3V. Moreover, it would be strange, that they fail at the same day).

I do use the WD boxes through a VPN (outside the US). I have other devices on the VPN which work fine! The VPN works fine! If I connect the boxes w/o VPN I get the proper date. I reset the boxes … no change. BTW I am connected via LAN.

I am really stuck now! Any advice

Pery

Pery1 wrote:

If I connect the boxes w/o VPN I get the proper date.

Let me get this straight – if you DON’T use a VPN on your Live Plus, it all works OK, but if you do, the date is wrong?

Yes this is right. But I need the VPN (outside the US) in order to get netflix …

Pery

I think, then, that’s a whole different thing.  

If it works without a VPN server, then it works.

The WD is completely unaware of the presence of a VPN service, so something else related to the VPN is preventing the time update from working…

Okay folks I racked my brain over this one and was ready to break the box open.

1. Couldn’t connect to Netflix or Youtube.
  2. Timezone Date showed 12/31/1999
  3. If you are using VPN service disconnect and reconnect with local service.
  4. Your date should reset. And I suppose you can set it to any time zone you want.
  5. If your time and date is correct reboot your player to make sure it is still there.
  6. Now reconnect to VPN service and go directly to Netflix.
  7. Because I did a factory reset I had to log into Netflix again.
  8. Unfortunately it reverts back to 12/31/1999 when you turn off the device, I suppose I can keep it on.
  9. It definitely has something to do with VPN.
  10. I have 2 options Leave WD player on or whenever i decide I want to do Netflix or Youtube go through local
    service first to set the time and change to VPN.

I’ve spent a lot of hours on this and here’s what I’ve learned so far.  WD TV Live Plus works fine when connected directly to my ISP 2Wire box.  In this case my ISP is MTS in Winnipeg.  I’ve found a thread with other MTS customers with similar issues.  The problem lies in the fact that I have a router attached to the 2Wire box (modem/router) and set up as DMZplus. 

The date is correct after I move the network wire from my router (Netgear 3500L v2 running Shibby Tomato firmware) to my MTS supplied 2Wire and turn off / on the WD box.  Move the wire back to router, power off / on WD box, date is wrong.  It appears that the WD goes out to NTP time server on start up.

The other forum I read pointed out that no devices attached to router can find a time server.  I confirmed this with my laptop by going to the time setting of my Win8 machine and telling it to sync with a time server.   It trys for a while and then fails to sync.

Web Chatted with ISP (MTS) support and they say the DMZplus setting will make the 2Wire behave as a simple modem as far as my router knows.  They won’t help past that.

I am going to try update to current version of Shibby firmware with current settings then default Shibby and finally stock Netgear firmware.  I run a pretty custom set up on my router (static ips and port forwards for webcams etc) with tomato firmware.

Focused on router and/or it being behind the 2Wire box.

Resolved

The solution for me was to upgrade the firmware on my router.  I have a Netgear 3500L v2 running Tomato firmware by Shibby.  I upgraded from version 101 to 116 and my time is correct on WD TV Live Plus.

Netflix and Youtube now work!

I know my 2Wire gets updates from MTS so possibly they both needed to be current to shake hands properly.

That was a lot of time wasted resolving the time server issue.

24 HOURS LATER … hooped again.

It worked for that evening and when I sat down to watch Netflix the next night, same problem.

Will focus on router.

Won’t even work connected directly to my 2Wire box.   Moving on to Roku.