I spend more time reseting my MyCloud EX2 than actually using it!

I bought my MyCloud EX2 to replace a single drive MyCloud drive I had. The previous one lasted for a very long time, but the disk failed and I had a horrible time recovering all the photos and videos of my family. Because of this, I decided to go with the same brand, but this time I selected a RAID unit so that it would back up automatically.

Well, that was the worse decision I made… First, I got the unit from Amazon and it was used, not new. How do I know? Well, it had users already registered as well as some files (music and movies). I plug in the unit to my UniFi switch, go through the process of completely reseting the unit for my own use, load up all the recovered files and set up the users to use my unit as my home NAS. Process is simple. I also set up Plex; fantastic piece of software.

But then, the problems start. First, my TV cannot find Plex… Hmm… Must be the TV, right? Well, the only thing that got Plex working again was a 40 second reset of the MyCloud EX2… About a week later, same thing. Then my computer could not see the drive… Same thing, 40 sec reset to fix. Well, we are up to the point now that I barely use the drive because I need to do a 40 second reset on it every 3 to 4 days.

I go online to find possible solutions and I find it is a fairly common problem, but there is no solution yet… WTF? Can anyone please help???

first of all, stop reseting the EX2,
second of all you are posting in the my cloud forum of which you should be posting in this ex2 forum.

Now that we got that out of the way…

Losing an ip is usually your home network fault and not the device itself.

So quick answer is to log into your router and use ip reservation. you will have to figure how to do this yourself.

optionally you can hard code an ip on the ex2 itself but be careful here as setting the ip incorrectly may result in not being able to access the device at all. Also the fixed ip must be outside the DHCP range of your router, otherwise your router may try to allocate it and thus you get a ip collision.

Check the time date stamp for both your router and your ex2, an incorrect time setting could result in the ip being released by your router and thus losing the ip path.

Lastly even though you chose a raid drive, this doesn’t mean you have a backup. If the unit fails, both drive fails. Backup backup backup… get a passport drive to back up the files.

Don’t reset. Trouble shoot why your network is giving up the ip. Search the internet.

It isn’t the ex2 fault.

Also you might want to put a switch between your router and your Ex2 because some routers works better with an intermediate switch between.

Connect all your network cables to the switch and one cable to the router, thus when your router resets, everything in your home stays up rather than reseting.

Good luck…

1 Like

I don’t have a MyCloud EX2 … but have a MyCloud (and lots of other networked devices)

IP Reservation is Excellent advice :slight_smile:

Every device in my home has it’s own IP Address reserved … it’s been a godsend, and the end of constant frustration for me.

1 Like