I/O errors when trying to start server process

I know this can work as it has worked for many others, but I seem to be getting a peculiar error.  The situation is this: I have a WD MyBookLive 2TB NAS drive that I installed Logitech SqueezeboxServer on via SSH using these instructions: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84735. I get as far as issuing the “dpkg -i squeezeboxserver_7.6.1_all.deb” command to which I receive the following confirmations:

Unpacking squeezeboxserver (from squeezeboxserver_7.6.1_all.deb) …
Setting up squeezeboxserver (7.6.1) …
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins’ to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
Making sure that Squeezebox Server is not running first: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 8752: No such process
No process in pidfile ‘/var/run/squeezeboxserver.pid’ found running; none killed.
Starting Squeezebox Server.

I give it some time, then try accessing it at http://mybooklive:9000, but get a file cannot be displayed error in my browser. And when I try accessing my library from the remote, it says that SBS isn’t running.

I’ve repeated the remove/update/dpkg -i process a number of times, tried using different versions of SBS and LMS, and even did a complete factory reset to the NAS (wow, did that take forever). And, yes, I’ve disabled Twonky.

The server.log shows errors which appear to be the same disk I/O error, with the server then dying and automatically restarting, and dying/restarting, ad infinitum. To my not-very-trained eye, this is one example of the critical error:

[12-01-03 08:14:57.1936] Carp::Clan::__ANON__ (214) Warning: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db do failed: disk I/O error [for Statement “PRAGMA synchronous = OFF”] at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 123
[12-01-03 08:14:57.1955] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (2067) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!
2012-01-03 08:14:57 Squeezebox Server died. Restarting.
[12-01-03 08:15:03.0563] main::init (350) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.6.1, r33110, Wed Aug 17 18:50:10 PDT 2011) perl 5.010001
[12-01-03 08:15:04.3039] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (119) Error: DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db do failed: disk I/O error [for Statement “PRAGMA synchronous = OFF”]
[12-01-03 08:15:04.3063] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (119) Backtrace:

Anyone have any ideas? 

What do they tell you on the Squeezebox boards?

I’ve had extensive exchanges on the slimdevices and logitech boards and pretty much everyone is scratching their heads.

Hi All,

Just went through a horrific experience trying to get a Squeezebox Duet working on my 2TB MBL.  Scrapping that and re-evaluating my entire approach. 

I’d like to draw songs stored on the MBL wirelessly to my stereo and control song/playlist/genre/etc. selection using my iPad or iTouch.  AirPlay looks great, but eveything I’ve read about it says that I have to have a PC running, but I’m guessing you all are smarter.  (MBL is hardwire connected to Linksys wireless router and is accessible wirelessly from laptops on the network.)

So, is it possible?

Also open to other suggestions (but Sonos just isn’t in my budget.)