I managed to remove Intellipark clicking noise of WD7500BPVT hard drive

When the drive was in idle mode, it generated a strange loud clicking noise every few seconds. It did on Windows 7 and it also did on Windows 8. This problem, that many types of WD hard drives have, is notorious. I read all kinds of posts and articles written by people having the same problem and tried to follow their suggestions but with no result. I adjusted the autopark timer from the default 8 s to 300 s with the wdidle3 utility proposed by Western Digital but again with no result. I also tried to adjust hard drive settings with programs such as quietHDD with no result. Finally, I installed HDDScan, version 3.3, for Windows, and set Advanced Power Management off (Features>IDE Features>Advanced Power Management - OFF). This solved the problem. Of course Windows didn’t remember this setting after reboot, so I had to use the ‘Build Command Line’ feature of HDDScan to build the DOS command that would set Advanced Power Management off, write that command in a batch file, then use Task Scheduler of Windows to set Windows execute that batch file at log on. Now everything works fine, with no clicking noises.

This worked for me but I don’t know if it will work for other types of WD hard drives or other computer configuratons, so use my advice at your own risk.

I’d be glad if this helped.

My Asus notebook:

Hard drive:     WD7500BPVT,  750GB, 2.5" SATA, 5400 rpm
Processor:     Intel® Core™ i5 2430M 2.4 GHz
Chipset:          Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
Memory:          DDR3 1333 MHz, 2 x 4 G SDRAM

When you say it was clicking, do you mean that it was parking a lot?

Yes, the clicking noise was produced by the frequent parking of the hard drive read/write head. This frequent parking, ment to save energy, is the so called ‘Intellipark’ feature that many WD hard drives have. Apart from the noise, the frequent parking, which is preceded by hard drive spin down and followed by spin up, can lead to premature hard drive wear-out.

You have to understand that most people have a tendency to pickup and carry around their laptops while they’re running.  SecurePark (what it’s actually called) is necessary because it helps prevent head slaps caused by sudden or sharp movements with the laptops.  Those heads are constantly moving anyway, except when they’re parked.  Really, SecurePark is meant to prevent unnecessary wear and tear on the drive.  You should read the spec paper for that drive, especially what it says about SecurePark under “Reliable.”

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/5391#

Even if the feature is called ‘SecurePark’ and is ment to protect the hard drive from sudden movements, it is also associated with power saving, otherwise it wouldn’t have been disabled by shutting down Advanced Power Management of the drive, in HDDScan. So, it is very similar in its results to the true ‘Intellipark’ feature that many of the WD hard drives have: it saves power and it makes the clicking noise, although it may also protect the hard drive when it’s idle and one moves the notebook suddenly - which I don’t use to do at all. So, the problem was the loud annoying clicking noise every few seconds when surfing the web or writing a Word document etc…, the artificial increase in load-unload cycles which, I think, can affect hard drive’s life span, and also the fact that when the head was parked and I wanted to do something, the computer freezed for a moment until the drive spun up. The problem with this frequent parking, even if it was caused by ‘Intellipark’ and not by ‘SecurePark’, was discussed in many topics such as  this or this.

After searching for hours for a solution to this problem and trying all kinds of things, I finally managed to solve it with HDDScan. I’ve written this topic just wishing to help others. If they’ve removed the cliking noise with wdidle3, or if they are running with their laptops turned on and idle and want a better protection for the drive in these situations, or if they can bear with the noise, fine, no problem.

I’ve been told that some of this parking is driven by your power management settings.  You can try changing them in either the bios or windows. So, maybe that’s what HDDScan is doing.

I’ve already tried changing power management settings of Windows but with no result. As for the BIOS, I have a very simple BIOS with no settings for power management at all. Only HDDScan cured the problem. For others, other programs worked, such as hdparm, quietHDD, CrystalDiskInfo etc. For me, just HDDScan worked.

Again, this problem with the annoying frequent parking of the head hasn’t occured just in my case. It has happened to many people with different computer configurations, so, it can’t be generated by specific power management settings of Windows or of BIOS. It’s a widely spread problem, as can be seen here, here and in other topics.

That’s an old thread, for a different desktop drive, and the parking issue was dealt with back then.  This is the first I’ve heard of this being an issue on this drive.  Nevertheless, I’ve passed your post along to our product people to let them know.