I know the Red 8TBs are louder, but... this loud?

Last Friday, I bought a new Red 8TB (WD80EFZX-68UW8N0) to add to the two 3TB Reds (WD30EFRX-68AX9N0) in my Synology 918+. I was surprised by the noise to put it mildly.

I know the Red Helium drive seeking is supposed to be slightly louder as per the knowledge base, but didn’t expect this loud.

Still, some (here, on Reddit, etc.) call the drives “much louder” while others say they can’t hear them - it’s rather subjective and not easy to compare with random isolated recordings from others. The “How to tell” knowledge base article doesn’t really help here either.

But since the Synology spins up the drives in order, in my case it’s easy to make a direct comparison. This is a single take recording of the spin ups from about 1 foot away from the NAS - no edits, except slight noise reduction (to make the 3TB drives actually audible over fan noise etc. - in their five years of service I’ve hardly ever actually noticed them) + 12 dB (linear) amplification:

00:00 - first Red 3TB drive spins up
00:09 - second Red 3TB drive spins up
00:15 - Red 8TB drive spins up

The sound level when generally seeking remains the same as right after the spin-up (not the grinding at 0:31, but the rest). Haven’t heard this level of hard drive noise since the early 90’s. :slight_smile:

I’ve done Synology’s Quick and Extended SMART tests, which both report the drive as healthy, and the SMART info after those tests also looks OK to me. Performance is also good.

Since I only have a laptop around at the moment, and no e.g. USB-to-SATA cable, I can’t test the drive on Windows yet - but for now, just checking if this noise is to be expected?

1 Like

Hi Jither,

You should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this for live assistance and troubleshooting

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support

Create a Support Case
Create a support case with our world-class service and support team.

1 Like

Thanks James :slight_smile:

Already contacted support, and ordered a USB-to-SATA cable. Sure enough, when connected to the PC, and out in the open, the drives are actually whisper quiet (from stories around the web, I hadn’t expected this quiet - I’d actually judge the 8TB to be as quiet as the old 3TB Reds).

So there seems to be some weird cabinet resonance going on - but only with the seek noise, there’s no resonance from the disks spinning. And this rather extreme amplification of the noise happens in spite of already trying to dampen by using screws for mounting rather than Synology’s “no screw” plastic design, as well as using felt on the sleds - with no change. Next experiment: Swapping the disk to the currently empty bay.

So now my beef is squarely with Synology…

1 Like

Here is a quick fix…ShowBox VidMate

Install CL4 v4.2.2.27.
Copy cpuidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll from CL4 directory.
Uninstall/install or update to CL4 current version.
Paste cpuidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll from v4.2.2.27 into new or updated CL4 directory.

This solves the constant polling of the hdds and you retain the features and functionality of the newest version of CL. However, hdds temps are not updated, hence why CL was updated.

Any updates, Sir?

PLEASE!

thanks for the solution WD!!
https://getwpswpatester.com/

Thank for this. It is very helpful

Showbox

Thankyou very much this article or, you can say information is very useful, and that’s why I think I shoud also provide some information about workspacelogin email