I just want to watch a film! :(

Hi all,

So i’ve just setup my WD TV LIVE in moments, so easy & was really impressed with the clean UI,

unfortunately it ended there, i have a USB stick with a bunch of films in various formats (avi, mkv etc)

yet the device does not acknowledge any inserted media i’ve looked in videos, files, etc they all say

‘0 files’.

Im not interested in any functions otehr than simply watching films from a usb stick or usb HD.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

turn off media library then go to video’s and select local drive

Thanks for the advice, but this failed to resolve my issue.

Im very dissapointed tbh as i purchased a WD MC over other brands as im a WD fan,

This MC device was so easy to setup (as it should be) but the fact i cant just slot in a usb or extHD

& just play avi mkv films without all this hassle is very poor.

The whole point of this device is to replace the hassles of setting up a laptop on hdmi to the TV,

as this process is slower more bulky & less effecient than a MC.

Im a web & graphic designer by trade but i’ve been building high end pc’s & working with servers

for 15yrs, so if im having to ■■■■ about with settings & post on forums to get a simple MC to play

avi & mkv films from a USB is not good at all.

Obviously there is something wrong at your end.

Your films are on the USB stick.

The stick is inserted in the USB port.

You have selected the video tab

You have selected local storage.

The films should be there.

Try selecting the file tab and then local storage.

Do you have another USB stick.

Try the other USB port.

Does the led on the USB stick flash?

Playing supported mkv / avi videos from a USB stick is the easiest thing to do and I can assure you that the player can handle it.

I would have thought that a person with your experience would have a little more patience and troubleshooting skills.

Also, make sure the stick is formatted as NTFS, FAT32, or one of the other few supported file systems.

Your films are on the USB stick. Yes

The stick is inserted in the USB port. Yes

You have selected the video tab Yes

You have selected local storage. Yes

The films should be there. No

Try selecting the file tab and then local storage. Tried

Do you have another USB stick. Yes (but this is a new good quality expensive Sandisk 64gb with no issues)

Try the other USB port. Tried

Does the led on the USB stick flash? Yes

Playing supported mkv / avi videos from a USB stick is the easiest thing to do and I can assure you that the

player can handle it. Yes i know

I would have thought that a person with your experience would have a little more patience and troubleshooting skills.

Correct but after the fiasco WD / UPS made of the delviery i was wore thin on patitance already, plus my job involves troubleshooting & BS so i don’t need greif from such a simple thing, plus i bought this for my parents

to save them greif as their not as savvy as me

Yes thanks for this, ive eliminated this as an issue already, i’ve tried both NTFS, FAT32

After setting up the MC & i had the usb issue the first thing i did is check through the MC settings,

then moved onto a process of elimination with the filetype & the USB format.

So does the WDTV even recognize the disk?   It shows up in the Storage Manager  (Setup / System / Disk Manager) with the correct information?

No m8, the usb doesnt show up anywhere on the UI, via files, videos etc,

The USB lights up when in the MC, but it works in my alineware lappy & my pc, the files are fine too.

So both the usb drives you tested don’t show up in the Storage Manager  (Setup / System / Disk Manager) 

If you did not try another drive then do so now. Forget the fact that the drive is new and works well with every other device you have.

As a professional you must have other drives and to try another is just basic troubleshooting as it can either be the Live player or the drive.

Yes your right, i never take anything for gratned which is why i tried 2 sticks, i may format a third & try all 3 in various formats with various file types

Are the sticks different types from different manufacturers

Yes,the USB’s are

16gb Corsair

64gb Sandisk

16gb Kingston

Im going to reformat the 3 & try various formatting & files, then get back to you

So you don’t see this with your drives

Can you see local storage

When i click on disk manager, or local storage there is no media to choose from

So the player does not recognise your usb drive. This may be down to the drive or a faulty player. If your 3 drives don’t work and they are all formated correctly then one must assume that it is a faulty player.

I know that you just got the player, did you update the firmware and can you confirm you have the Live Streaming player and it looks like this

2013_Live_G3.png

You could reset the player to factory defaults via the setup menu and remove power for a couple of minutes. This may solve the drive recognition problem and is simple to do.

Hi m8,

Yes this is the drive i have & yes i did the firmware updates & it is all up to date,

Again i made sure i checked through all the menu options etc, before i come on the forums

for assistance, i wanted to check the supported formats etc plus any known issues etc

Once i get home i will try the 3 drive again like i say in various formats, then try a factory reset

if all options are exhausted it’s going back.

This was to be the first of 3, i prudently bought 1 first to see what it was like, then i was going

to buy the other 2, but regardless if i get it working, i wont buy the next 2 direct from WD after

the delivery fiasco, im dreading the RMA process dealing direct with WD tbh

Pulling out a usb stick from a PC without first clicking on “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” has been known to cause problems with the WDTV not recognising drives. I’m not sure if you have done that or not, but try this:

I have windows 8.  Not sure it the procedure is exactly the same on other versions of windows.

Put the usb stick into a usb port on your computer. 

In windows explorer, right click on the drive and select Properties.

Select the Tools tab.

Click on the “Check” button and do a scan and repair on the drive.

When finished, in the notification area on your PC select the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon, and eject the appropriate drive.

Remove the stick and put it in the WDTV.

Good luck.

I’ve had mine for a year   :smiley:

It is the BEST thing since sliced bread.  I have watched hundreds of movies from about 20 different USB flash drives(from 1Gb to 128Gb) PERFECTLY.

I HAD a small problem with a USB3 external drive but no problems with a 128Gb USB3 flash drive.

I now mostly watch movies through a “Shared” folder direct from my desktop.  I sometimes watch stuff from my NAS on my modem.

This is the BEST media player EVER, no exception.  If yours doesn’t work then you must be the unlucky person that has a faulty unit.

Just swap it out on warranty…

Good luck   :smiley: