I just want to pick and choose. This is so confusing

I just purchased the WD My Passport Essential SE. I thought it was going to be as easy as my “WD My Book” but it’s been a nightmare.

Starting with the update…ok, I update…it says the update is successfully installed, I restart the pc and retrieve my WD Passport and a pop up says to download an update. I update again and it says I already have the update, then there’s the pop up again that says there’s an update. At this point I’m tearing my hair out.

Then there’s the backup… I have certain file extensions I want to back up only. I don’t want to backup all my documents or music, just certain file extensions ie: .obj, 3DS, .skp as an example and they are located everywhere on my laptop. I want to pick and choose which files to store in this external hd. Where do I find the files? How do I get only the files I want into “My Passport”? Where are the tutorials? Now I’m ripping my eyes out.

There is a .swf file in the WD My Passport file that I assume is a tutorial. I tried viewing it in IE and it says an application isn’t installed. Which application?

Unless you’re familiar with this type of gadget, there is no quick access to understanding it. I’d like to keep the darn thing since there is a lot of storage space and it’s compact. I want to be able to access these huge files from My Passport and get rid of these file hogs from my laptop.

Help!:cry:

using Windows Vista

WD Smartware is no, no for you. Try using Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 which is free. (From trouble atleast!)

Mabkay wrote:

WD Smartware is no, no for you. Try using Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 which is free. (From trouble atleast!)

Thanks for confirming.  So there is no portable external HD out there that does the same thing that MyBook does?

I need something faster than SyncToy. It takes forever to download huge files. I need store a minimum of 60GB+ of files and be able to access the different file folders and content from the external hd when needed.

If you choose anything that doesn’t say “Essential” it should be good for you. SyncToy is fast enough to transfer any amount of data. IMO, software do not rule the speed unless there is bug on it. Speed is completely dependent on system capabilities and the quality of the hardware and the connection.

Edited: I made a stupid mistake…brain is fried.

I see there is a WD Elements that is available.

Does this work like My Book?

I edited my last post. I meant Elements and not Essentials.

Elements is a simple plug and play drive no software to install or updates or passwords.

Joe

Joe_S wrote:

Elements is a simple plug and play drive no software to install or updates or passwords.

Joe

That’s a good start but does it work like “My Book”?

I want to pick and choose what files and folders to add to the external hd but small enough to carry around.

It depends pn which My Book you are talking about. Some have Smartware and some don’t. I don’t know what My book you had. The Elements would be just like any other plain drive. copy and organize how you want with manual backups. If you use software you have to go with any quirks it has. You don’t want the Smartware for what you want to backup. It’s quirky and only backs up selected file types.

Joe

1 Like