I have to be doing something wrong.......ughh

Now you probably should reboot your PC, the reboot the HUB, and see if things improve.

okay, I have done both.  The hub does not show up when I cmd a netview command.  Should the workgroups all be the same between my pc, router and hub?  Right now, the workgroups are the same for the pc and the hub.

That’s fine the way you have them.

Make sure the IP addresses are still unique. If they are, can you PING the IP address of your hub?

Ex.:

C:> ping 192.168.whatever.whatever

no, it says destination unreachable

Then you have some serious network issues.

That means your PC can’t talk to the hub AT ALL, let alone via network shares or otherwise…

Update.  

I used the cmd net view and now I see both the pc and the hub.  When I net view the pc, it only shows a printer and when I net view the hub, it gives the dreaded error 53

Update.  I checked my firewall settings (Norton) and I see in the network map it identifies another device, but does not indicate what this device is.  The IP address is off by a digit from my hub address.  Do you think I could change the hub to match this ip address?

I am really lost for ideas.  I looked in my firewall panel and I check the network map.  On my LAN, it shows the pc and another “shared device” which is not the ip address of the hub.  I go to “trust control” in network map and there sits my wdlive hub with the correct ip.  I just do not understand why I can not ping the wd live hub through cmd.  

Tony,

Thanks for all your replies and assistance.  If nothing else, I have learned a few new tricks:smiley:

You should really know what IP address is on EVERY device on your network. At last count, I have 30 devices, and I know all of them by name and number.

If you don’t, you risk address collisions, which are DISASTROUS.

Try disabling Norton completely.

1 Like

Okay, so now I have run the net view command and I can see both my pc and my live hub.  I then run the nbtstat command for both devices.

For the pc I get the correct information with workgroup and master browser.  

When I do the same for the wdlive hub, I get a node ip address and then host not found.  

Anyone have any thoughts?

I veried that my pc is set to printer and file sharing along with my Norton firewall settings as well.  I am running out of options, but appreciate all the help.

I have fixed the problem.

I took the following steps:

1.  Changed my workgroup and then back again.

2.  Reset my router

3.  Reset the hub

4.  Restarted the computer.

Everything works fine now except network shares which did not work originally.

Thanks to Tony for all the advice along the way!