I have an old WD 1 TB external backup hard drive (S/N WCAU40199255)

I have recently found my old external hard drive backup system that I purchased many years ago. I hooked it up to my laptop and started viewing old files and pictures from the first time I backed up my old desktop. I haven’t found the user manual to assist on recovering said files and pics. Anyone know of an online source for a user manual, or have knowledge on how to extract the info on it?

I do “cut-n-paste” files and pics to my laptop but there are some programs I would like to use again. I’m not sure how to restore them or if that is even advisable.

Thanks in advance,
Vince

1 Like

Hi @Papa55,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hi,

You can easily extract the data from your old external hard drive, but immediately you have to stop using that drive because working on it can overwrite your lost files with the new ones. So stop using it and download Stellar data recovery professional software. This software helps you to recover your lost files with a few simple steps. This is the easiest method to extract your lost files without facing any hamper.

1 Like

Hi,
Below I will be suggesting you the manual methods on how to extract files and folder from backup.
Windows prompts that extracting specific files from the backup is not possible. To perform the task without issues, click on the “Disk Management” option.

Now, using the .vhd or .vhdx file extension, system images are stored as a VHD file. Thus, by using Disk Management, you can mount the VHD file as a separate disk. With this simple option, it will be possible to extract specific or individual files. Besides, it also makes it possible to browse the contents of a system image.

If you are looking forward to attaching extract files and Windows Image Backup, below guidelines will be useful. The primary task that needs to be performed here is the creation of the Windows System Image. It is an excellent option when you need to know how to extract individual files from system image backup in Windows 10.

Step 1: The first thing to be done is to select “This PC” and then click on the “Manage” option. A pop-up window shows up, and on the left panel, you can see the “Disk Management” option. Go ahead and click on it.

Step 2: Now, go to the “Action” menu in Computer Management. Here, you should choose the “Attach VHD” option.
Step 3: To locate the system image backup file, select the “Browse” option. To start attaching VHD, press the “OK” button.
Step 3: To locate the system image backup file, select the “Browse” option. To start attaching VHD, press the “OK” button.
Step 4: It is important to assign your partitions to the drive letter. It is because it will be impossible to access the partition without a drive letter. Thus, to assign, you have to head over to the “Change Drive Letter and Paths…” option. For that, right-click on the partition, go for the option mentioned above and add a drive letter.
Step 5: For example, assign “M” as the drive letter. To open the File Explorer, proceed to press “Win+E” keys. To locate the files that you want to retrieve, double click on the new drive. Copy them onto a different drive.

Step 6: In the “Disk Management” window, there is a “Disk” that corresponds to the VHD. So, right-click on it and choose the “Detach VHD” option. This move will detach the mounted drive. You should do it when you have copied all the files from the backup.

Second alternative to extract files can be the use of data recovery software. If you find the above methods complicated you can take the help of a data recovery software

Hi Papa55,
I also recently found my old external hard drive and don’t know what kind of power supply and USB cable to use with it. My S/N is WCAU42228608 which is close to yours so I thought we might have the same type of external hard drive. Can you tell me what power supply and type of USB cable I need? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Mary