I hate the WD Live Hub

I hate this device.  It never seems to work right.  If I am watching a lengthy mkv file, it usually stops every 30-40 minutes.  When I go back to the movie, I can’t skip to the part where it stopped.  Even if I put in the time, it goes to the frame, but won’t advance.  It just locks up.  It’s garbage.

Up until recently, I was able to access the device on my ipod through WD Photos.  I have now lost the ability.  The app sees the device, but says it cannot access it.  Garbage.

I try to access the device through my browser.  It tells me to enter my password.  I enter the same password that I use on the device.  It tells me the password is wrong.

The only thing I can use this piece of garbage for is as a network drive.  That’s it.  I should have returned it when I bought it.

I finally got access to the drive through WD Photos, but it says “No Photos Found.”  There are hundreds of photos on this drive.  Any ideas?

Pasword admin?

Have had 3 WDTVLiveHubs for about 2 or more years now and have not had any of your problems.

I am running the latest firmware now, but did run older fw at times.

Sure, we all have some things we would like done differently, but at this price point, the hub is hard to beet.

I have had issues that I fixed, using the manual & this forum.

Best to do a search before reasking a common question though.

Maybe try a factory reset after doing a fw update.

Also, if you update your mobile device, it may need your id info again.  I have seen android apps fail to work after an os update.  Not sure if apple has this issue.

Anyway, best of luck, Dan

I don’t blame him for hating the device. I purchased one 2 months ago and I must say I’m not impressed at all. I have a PBox I purchased 3 years ago and it works 100 times better. The WDLive box stops often during playback, lacks responsiveness when performing simple start/stop commands. The PBox on the other hand is responsive and never stops during playback.

On the positive side the interface is elegant but that doesn’t compensate for the poor user exprience it provides.

The box is connected via Wireless on a N router. I’ve now swaped back the PBox to our main entertainement center and put the WD Live hooked to our other TV since it’s not used very much.

The last firmware update just pushed about 3 weeks ago had made things worst.

Roliver, and Ravaldy,

If you you are both connected using wireless, that could be part of your problem.

Yes, I know, there are a lot of guys running that way, but the chance of signal drop is always there.

I would try to do a LAN connection if possible.  I have switched to cat6 and am very happy with my WD’s.

The manual talks about password/network setup.  I think once you guys see your WD’s working right, you will be very happy with them.

Note: The red power button on the remote, only puts your WD to sleep. (Does NOT cold boot it)

Best way to cold boot/restart your WD is to unplug power for about 10 seconds.  A alternative is to hit the setup button on the remote, go to system, scroll down to restart.

I bring this up, because when you are new to the WD and having problems, you might try several things to fix it at once (I know I did), but know that it is best to try just one thing at a time, rebooting/restarting it each time.

Good luck to both of you and don’t forget that manual.

Dan

WDjunky wrote:

Note: The red power button on the remote, only puts your WD to sleep. (Does NOT cold boot it)

Best way to cold boot/restart your WD is to unplug power for about 10 seconds.  A alternative is to hit the setup button on the remote, go to system, scroll down to restart.

Dan

Just so ya know…

If you hold that red button on the remote down long enough it WILL power the Hub OFF just like pulling the plug from the unit. The button on the front of the Hub will do the same thing. No need to get up out of your chair and risk spilling your beer, that’s alcohol abuse! :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I’m running wireless and I was intending on getting some CAT 5E to the main entertainement room. I’ll try that and maybe that will completelly change my view of the WD Live.

I bought this thing because it had the Spotify app. I have had many problems with it (WD Live). Here are the main ones:

1. With the Spotify app, it changes tracks but the artist stays the same.

2. It seems to interfer with my Directv. Causing the screen to go black for 2 seconds every 5 min. I have to shut it down for this to stop.

3. It takes two or three time of unpluging and pluging it back in to get it to load correctly.

4. Spotify, the reason I bought this “thing” is not working at all anymore, It loads and as soon as I begine to play a track from one of my playlists the whole hub restarts. What the **bleep** is that all about? I have tried for several days hoping it would correct itself but it has not. All the other apps work fine except Spotify. GO FIGURE RIGHT.

Anyone with knowlege of this please help. I love my Spotify. I want to enjoy it in my bed room.

@Raybear65

Sorry to hear about your Spotify issue. I can confirm though that Spotify does work correctly on the HUB (at least mine) and it’s an app that I use pretty much every day. I do not have any of the issues that you list. I had not used any of my playlists in a while, so to give it a test  I started one up a half hour ago and it is playing though the list without issue. When the the next song starts, the area at the top of the screen shows the name of the band, the song and the correct album cover as expected.

Sorry not to have any suggestions for you on what to try, but just wanted to confirm that there does not seem to be a problem with the application itself running on the HUB. 

Interference with your Direct TV would worry me though. Are you getting your Internet connection via the same dish?

-P

Just so ya know…

If you hold that red button on the remote down long enough it WILL power the Hub OFF just like pulling the plug from the unit. The button on the front of the Hub will do the same thing. No need to get up out of your chair and risk spilling your beer, that’s alcohol abuse!

:smiley:

Ya, I read holding down the red button on the remote would disconnect the WD from the network.

No matter, unless you remove either end of the power supply, you still have a control system a live.

Your way might work most of the time, but fail safe is kill power and wait a few seconds.

LOL, ya I don’t want to get up to do it either, so I have an X10 module on my WD.(remote control WD’s power) works great!

No beer spilt! lol

Some times the remote may not work at all and all my WD’s have front switches disconnected as per an old problem WD had quite some time ago. Never had the problem, but as long as I had them open, I decided to make sure it never happened.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to give it a try again.

Dan