I can't use My Passport 500gb brand new on my PC or my notebook but works properly in other PC's

I recently bought a 500GB My Passport (USB2/USB3) and I can’t manage to use it on two machines: My PC runs Windows 7 32 bit and my notebook W7 64 bit.

In both machines the disk appears on the “Computer” screen (sort of explorer) and in Disk Management screen but I can’t do anything else on them.

Every 2 minutes a banner shows with the following text: “You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it”.

Even if I check the “format Disk” checkbox, the system can not perform the task.

Both on the PC and the laptop I can use without any problem two differents My Book disks and a 200gb My Passport.

This new USB disk works properly on 3 differents PC’s (two of them runs WIndows XP).

Could you help me?

Thanks!

Based on what you said it seems a computer issue rather that the drive.  You can try getting driver updates from the computer manufacturer to see if that corrects the problem.

Also, does it happen on USB 2.0? 

Thank you for your comments and interests. I have installed a driver named SES Driver setup both on my PC and my laptop with no results. Both machines have USB 2.0.

I gave the disk to a friend and he succesfully installed a WD firmware updater, so on monday I will try again.

Hi,I seem to have a simmilar problem. but firstly I must declare I’m pretty ignorant about these things so any comments ( which will be gratefully received) must be in plain english not too much tech. I have a desk top ibm / windows xp and a macbook pro(recent purchace) I bought the WD My passport 500gb usb 2 essentially to backup off the IBM so as I could then acces s data, photos, music  from macbook. I hook My passport into IBM (by the way USB1only)it recognises new hardware, wizard installs ok so this looks good BUTwhen I go to my computer the driver is not there. WHY NOT? I just want to drop all my C& Ddrice files into it. Macbook recognises mypassport no problem. Any comment on how to get over this simple problem would be appreciated

Sojo

Which Passport is it? Some are formatted for Windows and some for Mac. If the drive was formatted for Mac then Windows can’t read it. To use on both you will need to make sure it is formatted for Windows NTFS then download NTFS_3G and install on Mac http://mac-free.com/download/NTFS-3G.html  then both will be able to use the drive. Another option is to format FAT32 but that has a max file size of 4 gig. You might like this too  http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3865

Joe