I can't partition My Passport Ultra

After opening the product, I was informed that to use my external hard drive as a Time Machine Backup I would need to reformat the hard drive. I went the WD knowledgebase page and was instructed to partition the hard drive. I followed the instructions and I am unable to select “partition” in the Disk Utility application. I don’t know what to do from here and any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Make sure that you are selecting the correct option on the disk utilities. Normally, it will show the name of the unit with the size information below. Please select the option that shows the size and it should give you the option to partition the drive.

If stills the same, please try partition the drive on a different Mac.

Hi
My name is zaheer khan from KSA my WD passport Ultra i format but i connected the computer or Laptop did format and how to installed software in WD Ultra passport external Hard drive Please tell me

When you’re in disk utilities, select erase (but only if this is a new drive-nothing on it). Once it’s erased, the “partition” button will no longer be grayed out.

I have the same problem. Even after erase, the partition button is still grayed out.