I cant believe this design error slipped thru

The 4 coloured buttons on the remote are in the wrong order.

Thats really going to screw up using it with my harmony unless I mentally translate the order of them or swap the codes over, but then the buttons will be labled wrong.

What were they thinking to get the red and green mixed up?

That’s the silliest thing I’ve heard in a while.  ;)

What difference does it make what order they’re in?   The HARMONY sure won’t…  Red is Red no matter if it’s the first button or the second?

If someone says press the RED button, you press the RED button.   Doesn’t matter what order they’re in.

Are you saying that Harmony now has a remote template for the Hub?   If they do (they didn’t when I got mine), then THEY screwed up the programming if Red and Green are reversed…  Simple as that.   Either way, on my Harmony One, Red is Red and Green is Green.   They both work, and they’re not “Mislabeled” or in the wrong order.

What kind of Harmony are you talking about?   On all the touch screen ones, you can just change the label.  On the non-touch screen ones, you just swap the function.   Either way, the label matches the function when you’re done.

I’m kinda disappointed with the whole UI…just seems like its not as streamlined as it could be. Seems like a lot of extra steps or something…or just not as neat and clean as I’d like it to be. I hate that huge green check box at the side when confirming a change…lol.

As for the buttons I wondered why they made the ones on the remote A,B,C,D and the ones on screen with symbols…you’d think they’d match…Either letters or symbols.

vice86 wrote:

I’m kinda disappointed with the whole UI…just seems like its not as streamlined as it could be. Seems like a lot of extra steps or something…or just not as neat and clean as I’d like it to be. I hate that huge green check box at the side when confirming a change…lol.

As for the buttons I wondered why they made the ones on the remote A,B,C,D and the ones on screen with symbols…you’d think they’d match…Either letters or symbols.

That’s because the remote buttons are programable.   You can change them to do something OTHER than what the screen icons show, but the function represented on the screen does NOT change, so the icons are important.

ah I see. I would love to build a template to look just like XBMC’s MediaStream skin

or

I can’t see the pics yet cuz a moderator has to approve them, but I get the gist anyway.  

XBMC is kinda the “Golden Egg” when it comes to streaming UIs…  But it’s backed by the power of a full PC.   :slight_smile:

Boxee even had to back off of it quite a bit.   Most people now (myself included) are not very keen on Boxee’s NON-XBMC-like UI…

Oh, i didn’t know moderators need to approve pics that get posted…it just shows up right away for me.

I didn’t mind the boxee UI when I tried it on my PC…but my PC is too old and slow to play 1080p files so I didn’t bother…but then I heard BoxeeBox changed UI’s up on people and really pissed them off.

I guess I can always mod the one image file completely to try to get it too look as close as I could get to the XBMC style…we’re just limited to placement of movie titles/images.

As you’ve seen, since you’re doing it yourself, the HUB’s Themes are VERY extensible. 

… we’re just limited to placement of movie titles/images.

Not sure what you mean.  

The PLACEMENT of elements on the theme is also changable; you can change the size / coordinates / etc of pretty much everything on screen.

It lacks some ability to do DYNAMIC elements, but it’s better than being nailed into one corner…

Ah, i meant where the movie thumbnails show up…at least not EASILY move them around…like in the middle of the screen with info under it instead of the thumbnails below with info on top.

Really sidetracking the thread now.  :)  Check this out:

This is also the GALLERY page, but looks nothing like it.

I was challenged to make this by a user who missed the Thumbnail-Only view from the WDTV Live, for the Hub.

It CAN be done, but it does take some doing to make a page work right, and WD’s Theme Developer’s guide is WOEFULLY under-written.

lol…dayam…look at you go Master Code Editor! Nice job…I love my Live unit but if you can really start messing with the look of the UI for the Hub I may have to switch over. I hate having all the jpg thumbnails showing since I access all my movies through my network :frowning:

It matters because the standard order for the 4 couloured keys is red green yellow blue, EVERY other remote has them that way because it is a standard that came from the days of teletext.

Now what happens is the 4 icons on screen of the WD are in a different order to how the buttons are on every remote ever made except the one that came with the WD hub.

Doesnt matter really, it has to go back because the second one has broken and just flashes its light, will not be replacing.

I was just commenting that it has absolutely no bearing on functionality.   Just a bizarre belief that everyone has to do it the same way… :wink:

Harmony has had support for the Live Hub since I picked my hub up. My One operates it just fine. But it doesn’t have the color keys so I guess I am missing out. I don’t even know what they do.

98:  The color Keys will appear as SOFT keys on the touchpad if Harmony actually built the whole template.

The Color Keys give you quick access to Filter / Sort, Content-Source, Dashboard, and VIEW options.   You can also select them on-screen via the color icons, so you don’t HAVE to use the color buttons on the remote.