I can't access my WD2500U017-005

I was able to access this drive until a couple of months ago. I safely removed the drive (ejected it through the icon as I have always done for the last 2 years) and when I plugg it back in yesterday, I couldn’t access it.

It shows up as drive E (I noticed that before it displayed the WD logo, and now it only shows up as a regular drive icon). I see it through device manager, but I can’t access it (message reads “Device not accessible”). I’m running Win XP.

The drive is getting power (Blue LED on when plugged in). I tried different USB plugs. Tried different computers with same result.  Tried a new drive same model only 160GB capacity and got the same result.

My suspicion is that a WIN XP update must have changed something. Can anyone shed a light? I need the data in the drive.

BTW the error I get is E:\ is not accessible  I/O device error

If you try several drives with the same result, then you are dealing with a computer issue. What normally works for me is testing the drive using different computers.

wduser10 wrote:

My suspicion is that a WIN XP update must have changed something. Can anyone shed a light? I need the data in the drive.

BTW the error I get is E:\ is not accessible  I/O device error

Sometimes an I/O error can be a bad cable.