I can not upgrade my cloud to V4.0

Dear all,

I have WD my cloud 4TB and I am trying to upgrade it several times to latest version which is v 4.0 but every time it gives me error message.

please help me to shutdown this NAS

If you have a gen2 version it runs firmware 2. The gen1 version runs firmware 4. Look at the
P/N on the bottom. IF it ends in 00 it is gen1 if it ends in 10 it is a gen2.

In your top image, it shows you’re running version 2. That means you have a Gen2 cloud. As rac8006 points out, Gen1 runs version 4.

You’re already running the most up-to-date software for your device which is 2.31.183

Welcome to the confusion that WD created when they introduced the second generation single bay My Cloud units which run different firmware than the first generation single bay My Cloud.

You cannot update (downgrade really) the v2.x firmware to v4.x. As indicated above you have the latest firmware for your second generation My Cloud. The v4.x firmware is only for the first generation single bay My Cloud units.

Ho appena scaricato la versione 04.05.00.342

Thank you for all your reply.
I am looking for a way to shut it down properly.

I have enable the SSH and still not able to shut it down. Would you give me the steps to do that please please

You are right. I have checked the P/N and it says it is 10 which is generation 2

WD Support has a Knowledgebase article explaining the official methods of shutting down a My Cloud device.

There are a number of unofficial ways to shutdown a first gen (v4.x) and a second gen (v2.x) single bay My Cloud. The procedure used is generally not the same for the two versions. On a gen 2 one can typically issue “shutdown.sh” via SSH or “halt -p” and the unit will shutdown.

For a first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud the command to shut down the unit is:

plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw [password] [ip address] /sbin/shutdown -h -P now

For the second gen v2.x single bay My Cloud the command is probably something like this:

plink -ssh -l [name] -pw [password] [ip address] halt -p

Plink is part of Putty which can be downloaded from this link: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

One can use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) to find many past discussions on using SSH to shutdown a My Cloud.

https://community.wd.com/search?q=ssh%20shutdown%20gen%202%20category%3A105

It should be noted that when one issues the shutdown command either via the official methods or using SSH the single bay My Cloud does not actually power all the way off. Generally what happens is the hard drive spins down and the unit is put into a halt state. There is still power flowing to the unit as evidenced by the LAN port still being active. And no the single bay My Cloud does not currently support Wake-on-LAN. To fully power down a single bay My Cloud one should pull the power after shutting the unit down.