I bought 4TB cloud external drive from best buy

I thought I could connect it to the computer for faster data transfer but it seems only over the WIFI transfer is possible. 

I guess you can only use it at home and couldn’t use it at a cafe. 

I noticed that this one has cloud backup too  http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Security-Local-Backup-WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN/dp/B00E3RH61W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397439603&sr=8-1&keywords=external+hard+drive+4tb 

So the only difference between the  black one and the white one is that black can only transfer through the cable, which is faster than the white one that only transfers through wifi?

And you can only use the white one at home, so that if you wanted to watch a bluray movie that you stored on it, you can only do it at home, and that very slowly because bluray doesn’t transfer over wifi too well?

I’m wondering if I should refund the white one for the cheaper and better black one, unless I’m missing something here.

Bought mine from Best Buy too and looked at this on the Best Buy site.

http://content.webcollage.net/apps/cs/mini-site/bestbuy/module/wdc/wcpc/1380204748603/tab/demo-eebd01c1?enable-reporting=true&showtabs=&channel-product-id=1219079080973

User Manual, you need to read it!

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

They are very different products

• MyCloud is designed to be a standalone storage device attached to the network through a wired connection (ethernet port at the back). It has a USB connection but you cannot use it to connect to a computer. This is not a USB disk. This NAS is a small linux computer with a big disk to create shares on a network, accessible by PC mobile devices on the local network or remotely. On a local network connecter through Ethernet cables and gigabit Ethernet connections, you have a speed in the range of 60 MB/S (maybe twice USB 2.0). Speed can be much lower if you connect your computer through Wifi to your network, if your router is older, etc.

• MyBook is a USB 3.0 disk that can be shared through a computer on a local network, and that features some level integration with external cloud storage services. It is an enhanced USB backup device. In theory, it is capable of 640MB/s, but real life transfer speeds could be in the 130MB/s range (just like USB 2.0 is spec’d for 60MB/s, but is typically around 30MB/s)

NB: lots of things influence bandwidth so take the above with a grain of salt

cloude wrote:

I thought I could connect it to the computer for faster data transfer but it seems only over the WIFI transfer is possible. 

A:  You can transfer via wifi or Ethernet cable connected to your router and the white drive  :slight_smile:

I guess you can only use it at home and couldn’t use it at a cafe. 

A: No you can use it remotely from anywhere, cafe, work, home, holidays resrots etc.

I noticed that this one has cloud backup too  http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Security-Local-Backup-WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN/dp/B00E3RH61W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397439603&sr=8-1&keywords=external+hard+drive+4tb 

So the only difference between the  black one and the white one is that black can only transfer through the cable, which is faster than the white one that only transfers through wifi?

And you can only use the white one at home, so that if you wanted to watch a bluray movie that you stored on it, you can only do it at home, and that very slowly because bluray doesn’t transfer over wifi too well?

A: Etupes expalined the difference between the 2 drives.

A: any movie can play whether via cable or wifi. However, Using wifi you are at the mercy of your router and signal strength.  For a good wifi stream you will need wireless N on your router and devices and a v. good signal strength. In the same room i can get 55 Mbps on my Ipad and can stream any movie without strutter, and even at 30 Mbps I can still stream pretty good. This is all down to the router and your device not the drive (which is limited by teh gigabit ethernet, DLNA server etc. still pretty good in my tests).

I’m wondering if I should refund the white one for the cheaper and better black one, unless I’m missing something here.

reply to cat0w:

Why did you buy it? And I didn’t buy a black tie warranty. Should I have?

Why did you choose this one over the cheaper non WIFI one?

stock wrote:

Why did you choose this one over the cheaper non WIFI one?

What are you referring to?   None of the WD NASes are WiFi.

What I know is that I wanted to get the 4TB (By the way I am the user “cloude”, I forgot my ID and signed up as a new user ID but now found my thread), but thought that the Cloud one was more convenient, because it could torrent even without connecting the computer to the HDD, which is convenient.

However, it seems, the Cloud is pretty slow compared to the normal USB one. Plus, it’s not portable, so that you couldn’t use it in a car for instance. I wanted to return it but the 15days have already lapsed since I bought it in Best Buy.

I’m referring to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-4TB-Personal-Storage-WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN/dp/B00EVVGAD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398019508&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+4tb+cloud

This one is what I bought.

Since I couldn’t return it, I tried to make out the best of it. So I am torrenting stuff to it, but for some reason the torrenting is not working (there is no progress). Anybody know the possible reason?

stock wrote:

I’m referring to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-4TB-Personal-Storage-WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN/dp/B00EVVGAD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398019508&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+4tb+cloud

This one is what I bought.

Since I couldn’t return it, I tried to make out the best of it. So I am torrenting stuff to it, but for some reason the torrenting is not working (there is no progress). Anybody know the possible reason?

You should have read the specification before purchasing. There is a differnece between a USB external drive and a NAS drive.
 Maybe one of the portable passport drive would have been more appropriate to carry inot the car.

Anyway, can you list the exact steps you are taking to torrent? I just dont understand “torrenting to it”.