I am not able to see any files on my Passport "PLEASE HELP"

I am not able to see any files on my Passport and I should have over 10,000 pictures of  everything that has happened in my life for the past 4 years.  Could someone please please help me.  When I insert the USB for My Passport, no name My Passport" comes up just the drive and it tells me that the drive must be formatted.  I am really worried because when I click on properties it tells me that the file is empty.   Hope there is someone out there that can suggest something.  Desperate ! ! !

1 Like

This is an addition to the above message.  When I tried to run a Norton scan on my H:/ drive the computer  says Location is not accessible H:? is not accessible       Data error (cyclic redundancy check), then it tells me to format this drive.  Could anyone out there help me Please.    The drive doesn’t even say My Passport anymore? ? ?

Desparate ! !

If the drive is okay, and you could probably test it with our DLG Diagnostics, then you should look for some data recovery software.  You may have corrupted the partition. 

Then again, maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

1 Like

I tried scanning the drive for viruses.  When I put my cursor on the My Passport drive I get no option to scan for any virus. I have even let Norton take control of my computer to see if they could get it to run but no luck. I thought this problem was from removing the harddrive to quickly from the USB port but I now think this problem is because it slipped of the CPU tower and fell about 12 to 16 inches to a carpeted floor while still attached to the computer.  It doesn’t make any noise while plugged into my laptop.  It just shows the drive and asks to format it.  Do you think given this info that the DLG Diagnostics and a data recovery program would help???

Well, yeah.  Dropping the drive on the floor even from 12-16 inches will break it.  Sorry, but if you need the data, you’re looking at data recovery, and that’s if they can help you.

4 Likes

perchè mi viene chiesto di formattare il disco?

[google translation]

Why am I being asked to format the disk?