I am having a problem updating WDFirmwareUpdater

Hi everyone,

I have followed these steps here:

The version of my BOIS is (Rev.3.5)

I have disabled all security programs and all other opening programs

after that I have clicking on the WDFirmwareUpdater.exe; however, I have been encountering this error below:

k.png

k.png

I am quite sure that the internet connection is working well.  I am behind a proxy server, but I am quite sure that Microsoft IE is configured with the correct authentications.

I have tried running it as an administrator, but this didn’t make any difference.

Is the problem related with the Fireware of windows 7. However, if this might Yes, I wouldn’t be able to exclude this program inside Fireware of Windows 7 because the fireware of windows is taken over by Norton Internet Security.

 By the way, do I have to update WDFirmware in order to update Smart Software?

Any comments would be highly appreciated

Try to download the application outside the proxy server, if possible another computer. This could be creating the issue.

Awopero wrote:

    Try to download the application outside the proxy server, if possible another computer. This could be creating the issue.

Thanks a lot,

This is not quite logical answer

My friend, did you really recognize  my problem???

How do you want me to download the application outside the proxy server as long as If I have disabled the proxy server, I would never access to internet at all?

If you wanted me to download the application on another computer, then save it on a USB Flash Drive. After that, I install it on my computer. I would like to say ::::::::::::::::::::::

First: Then what is the benefit from the WDFirmwareUpdater which I have downloaded from here.

Second: If I have run the WDFirmwareUpdater on another computer, it would be updating what??? as long as my My passport will be running in my computer.

Third: Will I automatically be facing a window asking me to where I want to save the updating after I click on “accept” the agreement of license or the WDFirmwareUpdater will be installed on that comuter?

Could any expert be a little more generous to view in the customers’ problem at this quite the good forum?

Try another computer as suggested

The server seems to be blocking the connection.

There is a disclaimer when you the update that warns you to disable any security application.

Please stop updating the firmware there since you could end up damaging the drive.

If the drive works then forget about updating.

If you still want to update then try another computer.

Make sure your data is safe in another drive.

And please bare in mind that the updates are done to the drive and not the computer. 

Wizer wrote:

Try another computer as suggested

 

The server seems to be blocking the connection.

 

There is a disclaimer when you the update that warns you to disable any security application.

 

Please stop updating the firmware there since you could end up damaging the drive.

 

If the drive works then forget about updating.

 

If you still want to update then try another computer.

 

Make sure your data is safe in another drive.

 

And please bare in mind that the updates are done to the drive and not the computer. 

Thank you so much,

Could you please only reply me on my questions?

First: I don’t have any other comupter via which I can access the interent without the proxy server because I live in a compuse and all the comupters are behind a proxy server.

If you wanted me to download the application on another computer, then save it on a USB Flash Drive. After that, I install it on my computer. I would like to say ::::::::::::::::::::::

First : Then what is the benefit from the WDFirmwareUpdater which I have downloaded from here.

Second : If I have run the WDFirmwareUpdater on another computer, it would be updating what??? as long as my My passport will be running in my computer.

Third : Will I automatically be facing a window asking me to where I want to save the updating after I click on “accept” the agreement of license or the WDFirmwareUpdater will be installed on that comuter?

 It would be good if one of the administrators of this splendid forum would take some time out to actually answer a question from one of your customers.

Aside for been difficult you are not considering the suggestions provided.

The community is for users such as you and me to help each other.

First : The updater is meant to be used when updating the drive but it will not run under protected setups like yours.

Second : You will be updating the firmware on the drive as already explained on previous post. Nothing to update on the computer just the drive itself so it does not matter where you update.

You are not going to get help if you think you know more than the helper.

Been open to suggestions is always good and considering you have not been able to fix the problem on your own, it sounds even better to take pointers.

Thanks a lot

I don’t have any other computer via which I can access the internet without the proxy server because I live in a campus and all the computers are behind a proxy server.

Do I have to update the Firmware in order to update the Smart Software or can I try to update Smart Software without updating the Firmware?

If both are working I wouldn’t update either. Also make make sure the Netframewor. 3.5 and adpbe flash are up to date. That has been known to cause problems. With complex things like firmware frequently if it ain’t brok don’t fix it is the best approach.

Joe

I think you have a problem, man

go ahead update smartware without updating firmware then see for yourself 

Thanks a lot

I will have to update because I need to have the backup with File switch .

Would my My passport affect and then will be damage during the updating if I had updated the Samrt Sotrware without Frimware?

I have updated the Smart Software without updating the firmware. But unfortunately I have found that the “backup” and retrieve" tabs are not activated.

ll.png

Not able to see the image yet

but what you described is normal on the latest version

click on the drive image that appears on the home tab ( passport ) and the backup and retrieve will activate after that

Wizer wrote:

Not able to see the image yet

 

but what you described is normal on the latest version

 

click on the drive image that appears on the home tab ( passport ) and the backup and retrieve will activate after that

Thank you very much indeed,

I have done that and the ‘backup’ and ‘retrieve’ tabs become activeated. However, when I have switched to file backup. If I have chosen a folder or files I want to be backed in the backup copy, would the category backup be done like this organization if I backed up with the category backup?

Regardless of what backup option you used the files will be on the folders the same way they where on the computer

is just that you’ll have to go through the path i.e. : smartware_stor/1/cooperator/C/DocummentsandSettings/AllUsers and so on

If I earsing install Smart software by erasing the Drive(WD MY Passport), and then I want to reinstall this version SmartWare Version 1.6.0 for Windows, should I first install the last one then update with updates or is there  latest installing  version for 1.6.0?

I would be asking that if I have (23386) files  whose size is (560GB), and in the setting of Smart software(To save several versions of the same file just go to from the Smartware UI go to settings/set up software and from file history you can select the number of versions per file.), I have specified the number  of backup versions for each file as: five. So,  560GB*5 = 2800GB = 2.734375 … Terabytes:dizzy_face:

 If you said to me that the WD Smart software  will apply the number of backup version for each file in  the backed data, I would be asking that my hard disk will not be enough because as you see the count above the size is more than the normal size of My Passport .

cooperator wrote:

If I erasing install Smart software by erasing the Drive(WD MY Passport), and then I want to reinstall this version SmartWare Version 1.6.0 for Windows, should I first install the last one then update with updates or is there  latest installing  version for 1.6.0?

I would be asking that if I have (23386) files  whose size is (560GB), and in the setting of Smart software(To save several versions of the same file just go to from the Smartware UI go to settings/set up software and from file history you can select the number of versions per file.), I have specified the number  of backup versions for each file as: five. So,  560GB*5 = 2800GB = 2.734375 … Terabytes:dizzy_face:

 If you said to me that the WD Smart software  will apply the number of backup version for each file in  the backed data, I would be asking that my hard disk will not be enough because as you see the count above the size is more than the normal size of My Passport .

It is great a program (Smart software). But I only found one drawback which is follows:

When I have backed up all my data. Then, each file I open to make some alternation of it, I check out that smart Software backs up another file with for the original file with the alternations. I was expecting that Smart software will only save the alternation in the original file.

With this way, may hard  disk will soon be full.

There isn’t any way to let Smart software save any alternation in the original file instead of backing a new file. In other words, if all the data, especially which are able to be alternated are synchronized.

For me, I have tried open a Microsoft Word file and then I have added something to it. And then I have saved it in my computer.

pronounciation1: this is the original name of the  file

pronounciation1@8f4846063c144f57834c742a29f357fc: this is the name which Smart software named automatically into my external hard disk (my passport) after I saved the file into my internal hard disk

Could you please reply me on last post?

cooperator wrote:


cooperator wrote:

If I erasing install Smart software by erasing the Drive(WD MY Passport), and then I want to reinstall this version SmartWare Version 1.6.0 for Windows, should I first install the last one then update with updates or is there  latest installing  version for 1.6.0?

I would be asking that if I have (23386) files  whose size is (560GB), and in the setting of Smart software(To save several versions of the same file just go to from the Smartware UI go to settings/set up software and from file history you can select the number of versions per file.), I have specified the number  of backup versions for each file as: five. So,  560GB*5 = 2800GB = 2.734375 … Terabytes:dizzy_face:

 If you said to me that the WD Smart software  will apply the number of backup version for each file in  the backed data, I would be asking that my hard disk will not be enough because as you see the count above the size is more than the normal size of My Passport .


It is great a program (Smart software). But I only found one drawback which is follows:

When I have backed up all my data. Then, each file I open to make some alternation of it, I check out that smart Software backs up another file with for the original file with the alternations. I was expecting that Smart software will only save the alternation in the original file.

With this way, may hard  disk will soon be full.

There isn’t any way to let Smart software save any alternation in the original file instead of backing a new file. In other words, if all the data, especially which are able to be alternated are synchronized.

 

For me, I have tried open a Microsoft Word file and then I have added something to it. And then I have saved it in my computer.

pronounciation1: this is the original name of the  file

pronounciation1@8f4846063c144f57834c742a29f357fc: this is the name which Smart software named automatically into my external hard disk (my passport) after I saved the file into my internal hard disk

 

Could you please reply me on last post?

 

 

Could anyone reply me please

It would be good if one of you would take time out to reply my last inquires.

I also didn’t see that Smart software automatically backed up ‘wlsetup-all’ (Windows Live Essential setup), which is a copy on my desktop.  It isn’t installed a program; however, it is setup program for installing Windows Live Essential

I have seen that smart backed up any Microsfot Word file or Image and so on. Why did it not back up  (Windows Live Essential setup).

It would be good if any of you would take out time to reply my last post?

Also, I have notcied that Smart software didn’t back up  a copy of program ( Windows Live Essential Setup), which is on my desktop. Although Smart Softwr backs up any a new updates or files has happened after the firt backup, it don’t back up this program which is a copy on my desktop.

Why did nobody reply me to close this pending  issue?