Hung up "Shutting Down"

I used WD Access on my Mac to Shut Down my PR4100 and now the unit is hung up with the LED reading “Setting Down.” It has been in this mode for two days. The last time this happened, I called Tech support and was told it was ok to pull the plug, which I did, at which point ALL four drives failed and the unit had to be sent to data recovery (very costly). Does anyone have any recommendations at this point? 39TB full (40TB capacity.) Have been trying to get a callback from a Level II for two days with no luck.

Am I the only one who has seen this problem? Still “Shutting Down” after two days and no word from Customer support.

You should be able to press and hold the button on the front to shut it down safely

Correct - I should be able to press and hold the button to shut it down, but as I noted in my message, the last time this happened, I called Tech support and was told it was ok to pull the plug, which I did, at which point ALL four drives failed and the unit had to be sent to data recovery (very costly). So I don’t intend to do that until I hear from a Level II technician that that bug has been fixed or from someone at WD who will again guarantee that WD will pay for the data recovery, as they did last time, which would still mean that I will have no access to my assets for a month, waiting for that data to be recovered (like last time).

Pressing that button should ensure the drives power down correctly, unlike taking the power cable out (telling you to do that was just stupid frankly)
Restarting via the os often hangs when other processes are running, so if you always wait for wd you’re going to spend a lot of time with that.

Thanks again, but still concerned about the potential of shutting it down manually. Probably no real alternative. When you said “Restarting via the os” did you mean “shutting down via the os?” That’s what got me into this problem currently and prior.

My 4100 is showing System rebooting (its been saying that now for an hour). The older I get the more I realize everything changes. Even WD that use to be a top tier manufacturer with top tier support has slipped drastically. At some point shareholder and dividends became more important then the user. I do have some hope that COVID-19 will reshape the world in a constructive manner and balance it out.

I’ll have to hard power off the device then let it rebuild (check the volume) on a power up. It will be time consuming and annoying and YES it comes with huge risk to my data (Thanks WD!!!) however I don’t see much of an option.

End of my saga: Spoke with a Level III tech to whom I described the situation and he felt sure the data would not be lost if I powered down. He was correct, so resolved for now. He said ALWAYS power down by first using the Hibernate command in the Dashboard, then pressing the Power button on the front of the device. Good to know.