Huge disappointment

Hello everybody!

Until today I used a My Cloud Mirror (Gen1) and as I like to test the latest technologies I offered myself a My Cloud Home Duo thinking it was his replacement but serious mistake!

I want to share my experience by hoping that some read this message before buying.

What a desappointment ! I should have kept the packaging to return this product that does not meet my needs at all. I had a Cloud Mirror Gen1 that suited me very well. Here is what I reproach:

• Require to install the software to access its data from a computer / Understand that accessing its disk from a real share is much more convenient / native
    Example: Every month I used to scan my pay slip from my printer who had the ability to store the PDF directly on my disk. Now this is no longer possible with this “new” architecture of My Cloud Home
  • The application that starts at startup can not be discrete. We are obliged to close it every time the computer is started (Mac OS)
  • Can not hide the “My Cloud” desktop icon (Mac OS)
  • Why it is not possible to configure where to store offline files
  • Why restrict the possibility of inviting a person to the mobile application?

In short, what is the value of this new product line? I understood after my purchase that it is not a substitute of the classic range but yet the highlight on the site and the redesign of the site mycloud.com made think that YES. I am really disappointed.

4 Likes

There have been plenty of posts on this forum about the new MC Home devices that describe the many pitfalls and disappointments of the new Home devices. Too bad you didn’t come here first before you bought yours.

Hey Moz,

Thank you for your opinion. I have a My Cloud Mirror too (8TB 2 Gen), but I am tired of trying to figure out how to make this device perform better. When I enable cloud access and DLNA media server, the device gets unusable, the dashboard, transferring files, streaming videos or do time machine backups gets very very slow. I created a thread about that, seems like many people have the same problem as mine. I was using the device with cloud access disabled all the time to get usable performances.

So, I was really interested in replacing my device with this new MyCloud Home Duo, because I read that the My Cloud Home Duo has a quad core processor and 1 GB of RAM (mine has dual core and 512MB) and has a simpler and lighter user interface, so it should perform better. The problems you related don’t seem big problems to me. I am interested more in the performance. . Can you tell me a little more about it? Does it work smoothly with cloud access and Plex media server enabled? The mobile and desktop apps seems better than the old My Cloud Mirror too.

Hi @moz,

Wanted to add a few comments from the product side and see if we could clarify some stuff.

• Require to install the software to access its data from a computer / Understand that accessing its disk from a real share is much more convenient / native
    [Matt] Have you tried using our web application at Mycloud.com? This will allow you to access the content from your desktop computer without installing any applications.

• The application that starts at startup can not be discrete. We are obliged to close it every time the computer is started (Mac OS)
    [Matt] I assume we’re talking about WD Discovery here? If so, there is an option in Preferences to not start automatically when the computer is booted. Is that what you’re looking for?

• Can not hide the “My Cloud” desktop icon (Mac OS)
    [Matt] There is a Mac finder setting for showing/hiding connected servers but it is global. So you can go and turn this off but it will impact all similar drives. Right now we don’t have a good way technically to hide just our drive.

• Why it is not possible to configure where to store offline files
    [Matt] We will consider adding this option at some point down the line. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Why restrict the possibility of inviting a person to the mobile application?
    [Matt] Not sure I fully understand the question. Do you really mean invite to the mobile app, or invite from the mobile app?

Hope this helps.

Matt
My Cloud Home Product Team

Hi Matt and thank you for your message.

To complete:

Require to install the software to access its data from a computer / Understand that accessing its disk from a real share is much more convenient / native
[Matt] Have you tried using our web application at Mycloud.com? This will allow you to access the content from your desktop computer without installing any applications.
[moz] Yes it’s a good web app but my printer for example can’t access to this Web Service to store my scan documents for example.

The application that starts at startup can not be discrete. We are obliged to close it every time the computer is started (Mac OS)
[Matt] I assume we’re talking about WD Discovery here? If so, there is an option in Preferences to not start automatically when the computer is booted. Is that what you’re looking for?
[moz] Yes I talk about WD Discovery but I disable the auto start when computer is booted I can’t access to drive. It’s not possible to have only the WD icon without the main screen open when I open the session?

Can not hide the “My Cloud” desktop icon (Mac OS)
[Matt] There is a Mac finder setting for showing/hiding connected servers but it is global. So you can go and turn this off but it will impact all similar drives. Right now we don’t have a good way technically to hide just our drive.
[moz] Can you describe the process?

Why it is not possible to configure where to store offline files
[Matt] We will consider adding this option at some point down the line. Thanks for the suggestion.
[moz] Thank you for the consideration of this idea.

Why restrict the possibility of inviting a person to the mobile application?
[Matt] Not sure I fully understand the question. Do you really mean invite to the mobile app, or invite from the mobile app?
[moz] Invite from the mobile app. Why not via the web or desktop app?

The application that starts at startup can not be discrete. We are obliged to close it every time the computer is started (Mac OS)
[moz] Yes I talk about WD Discovery but I disable the auto start when computer is booted I can’t access to drive. It’s not possible to have only the WD icon without the main screen open when I open the session?
[Matt] Will take a look at this. Thus far have not had additional similar feedback. The window comes up at boot but is pretty easy to dismiss.

Can not hide the “My Cloud” desktop icon (Mac OS)
[moz] Can you describe the process?
[Matt]

1. In Finder, open Preferences menu.
  2. Select the General tab.
  3. Uncheck “Connected servers” under “Show these items on the desktop:”
    (A note about this. In order to ensure new users have this turned on, we flip it on by default when the app is “installed”. That means the setting is going to get switched back every time you update to a new app version. So its not a perfect solution but hope this helps.)

Why restrict the possibility of inviting a person to the mobile application?
[moz] Invite from the mobile app. Why not via the web or desktop app?
[Matt] No specific ETA, but I’m hoping to support this from the web app in the near future. Desktop app would be further down the line if we ended up supporting it there.

Matt

I can second the issue with the WD Discovery window always active on Mac. I have to drag the window down below the toolbar to “hide” it.

On my windows laptop whenever I click out of the Discovery window it minimizes it out of view. However, on the Mac that is not the case. The only way to get rid of it is to close the WD Discovery which of course removes my ability to access the drive.

Once you drag Discovery back to the toolbar (pin it) it should stay there. You would need to manually click and drag to unpin it, or go to preferences and use the unpin function to have it always display. Are you saying that after you re-pin it to the toolbar, it becomes unpinned on its own?

Thanks

Matt

I can only tell everyone that this product has been A GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT and also WASTE OF MONEY for me. Also, can not find anyone supporting and helping out.

I bought synology box and used the drive from this piece of ■■■■. Totally useless product. I’m actually amazed how bad it is.

Hi guys. Actually since last sw update mine start working. Just required to reenter log in credentials and for my big surprice it start working. Finally some lazy ass got sober and fixed his sw :joy::joy::joy: so im happy now, just took hell of long time to wait for this fix. Cheers!!!

I’m considering breaking the device open to get access to the drive. What hard drive is inside - WD Red?

Yup. Wd red. Drive is great but the enclosure ■■■■ a fat one

4 screws under rubber feet. Then some plastic retainers where the white and silver plastic meet.

Use a hammer :wink:

You only are really disappointed ??
the First huge mistake Again Of Western Digital productions it is you buy 220 / 260 eyros this fast and cheap constructions , in the Box outside the useless company of wester digital cant write ''WORKING ONLY WITH INTERNET ‘’ and the laugh is the seller of media mark they dont know this machine it is not for what i need and give me this , But who can imagine that Western digital is so much a company of support from itself and its makers can not do a simple device to work without the internet if we need as Back up ?

It is in fact listed on the box. under System requirements it states “Router and Internet connection”

I purchased my cloud home last weekend - it is the worst experience ever of any WD product. So many thing that do not work.
I cannot believe that a company like WD does not have QA, extremely poor design, and a lack of practical funcionality needed in backups - there is not way to backup all my PC (1 TB ) in a way that will not require many days connected WIFI from my pc to my cloud home attached to the router - taking a chance for failures.

Not syncs
not responses when errors have been reported
I am lucky, that I can still return this product
It is my second try of this cloud failure.

2 Likes

I have same frustration regarding the need of internet access since i need to turn off internet from time to time to save data ,I saw lots of complaints about that, is it impossible to ease access?
When i bought the device i thought it needs internet to keep up to date not to use data all the time

1 Like

I feel you
 I wish I didn’t open and sent back right away.

I don’t know why I purchased this. It feels like I subscribed any cloud membership
 It is not flexible, cant really manage the device etc.

Thanks

1 Like