Hub sends wrong Resolution while not scaling it itself, causing cutted GUI if fixed manualy

I think i know now why the TV’s don’t stretch the Video, the Hub sends the wrong Resolution!

The Bug is simple, if the Hub would send the exact Resolution(or the next higher supported)(without any black Borders!) of the Video eg. switch to it, then the TV knows what to do, but instead the Hub sends the wrong Resolution eg still sends 1080p or 720p even if the Video is 640x480 or 340x240 or what ever, so the Video gets centered within the wrong higher Resolution and can’t know that it is a Tiny Video.

The Dreambox8000 instead does switch to the Resolution of the Video including the GUI and so the TV will Zoom it automaticaly if the tv is set to do it, thats the normal way to do. The other Way would be the Box or the Hub also does the Job and Zooms the Video itself to his Resolution. Both Way are ok, but what the Hub does actualy is a mess up, because this Way the TV don’t identify the Reolution and so will not Zoom it automaticaly, however do it manualy will work, but then the GUI of the Hub will be cutted!

So the best Solution is not to implement again a manualy Zoom Factor, but also to fix the Bug with the wrong Resolution sended, because then everything will work automaticaly without Zooming on the Hub or Zooming on the TV and cut the Gui of the Hub. The second good Solution would be a Setting to tell the Hub to do the Job eg. the Hub does the Scaling itself to the Higher Resolution. Both Solution will preserve the GUI’s Resolution and so the Gui with the Bar and Menu and all that would remain on Screen instead of being cutted.

Everything else is a mess up or a needs unneeded manualy manipulation like Zooming on the Hub or the TV or both of them, thats wrong and bad because of the cutted Gui. Also the black Borders will normaly be added by the TV’s if needed and if set to do it itself, there is not need to send them, this will only falsify the Resolution and the detection on the TV also.

The simplest for Hub is to send it like it is without adding or zooming or anythin^g, then its up to the TV to do the rest, for the other Method where the Hub dos the Zooming means more Function because then there must be Settings for Aspectratio and all the Stuff the TV has too, its more complicated and needs much more to add to the Hub also.

Every TV-Box i have (3 Boxes including IPTV Box) here offers the first or both good Solution by default, so i don’t understand why the WD -Boxes do this wrong, its the standard Way, so i really expect that this will be fixed in one of the next Firmware, then this Problem together with all these Zoomproblems will be fixed once and for all!

And the prove that the Hub do this wrong is the GUI itself being cutted while manualy zooming on the TV because the GUI has allways 1080p (or the one set of course) Resolution while playing a 640x, 570x, 340,… Video so how should the TV know what to do?

Its up to the Boxes to look that the Gui will be visible, not the Problem of the TV’s, so its the Box that must switch to the correct Resolution or also Zoom it itself and anticipate so that the Gui is not cutted eg has the same Resolution.

So the proposed Solution with manualy Zooming on the TV is not an Option, the Gui will be cutted then!

Also switching to the correct Resolution of the played Video has another positiv SideEffect, the TV will scale it, dependent how good the Scaler in the TV is, the Quality is then perhaps better instead of the Box scaling it. My Dreambox is set to not scale it itself because of that, my TV has the better Scaler as he Dreambox, so its the better Choice let the TV to do the Job. But for this to work the Box must switch to the Resolution of the Video else the TV don’t know what to do, simple and effective!

edit: Also correct Res means to me switching p/i too and also pal/ntsc because i noticed also wrong telecine with some NTSC Videos, these are handled perfectly on the Dreambox and my TV is able to manage Pal/Ntsc/Secam itself, but only if sended unaltered of course. Sending a NTSC Video in p mode and in the wrong Resolution leads in very bad combeffects or whatever this is called in english. Fact is, the Videos play perfectly on the Dreambox(with disabled internal deinterlacer also so that the TV handles this too itself!) but looks ugly on the Hub, so something is very wrong and i suppose the source of the Problem is the same!

I’m assuming this happens while you are using HDMI playing HD movies or videos correct?

Everything goes over HDMI of course and yes HD Movies plays correct, it only affects SD Movies less than 720p and also is worst with VCD/SVCD-Movies, while they play correct on the Dreambox, they are totaly screwed if played via WDLIVEHUB.

I sympathise man, with a slight gratitude of over zealous preoccupation.

I’ve NEVER had a scaling issue and have lots of different types of video content.

It’s possible that you do NOT have scaling set properly on your HDTV. You can cycle through the scaling options with your HDTV remote. 

For example, SD content might be stretched WIDE, left with four black bars around it for the original pixel count or stretched while maintaining the proper aspect ratio.

My TV is set correctly.

If i stretch them with the TV Option, then Mochi gets stretched too, this is because the HUB sends 1080p no matter if it is or not, thats wrong, thats a bug.

Stretching on TV is no Solution if the Hub does it wrong before only if the Hub sends the correct Res, but if he would do that, the TV would do it itself and everything would be fine, but he doesn’t, instead the Hub sends 1080p even if the Video is 480*320, so the Hub does scale it, but wrong.

What i want is, the Hub does the scaling 100% correct or also he does nothing at all and let the TV do the Job, likely the TV will do it better anyway!

Also the Hub has Problems with deinterlacing some Content, while the same Content played via Dreambox has no Problems, perhaps the same Prob, because i set the Dreambox to do nothing but send the correct Videores to the TV, so the TV does the scaling and stretching and deinterlacing by itself, this is the way it should be done with todays TV, because most TV’s does these Job better then the Boxes.

Sending the allready wrong stretched Video to the TV like the Hub does is idiotic, especialy if the Hub does not provide any Option to set it how he should do it, this way there is no possiblty for the TV to know what to do, how should the TV know that the 1080p Video sended by the Hub is a badly scaled and stretched 4:3 Videocontent with 480x320 before?

So i want an Option to disable any scaling, deinterlacing and stretching on the Hub, so that the TV can do it correctly instead!

I have this same problem, the kids quite often enjoy a ripped dvd. These always show in a small windows in the middle and never zoom correctly. The tv sits at 1080p even though the source isnt.

All 1080p stuff plays fine.

I have a further issue that the main menu pages all force my screen to 1080i with hdmi output set to auto.

I have no idea why this is, its a panasonic 1080p screen, it goes to 1080p when I play everthing else though.

This has only happened since the latest firmware. the dvd files used to fill the screen ok. I guess they messed up somewhere.

mre15 wrote:

I have a further issue that the main menu pages all force my screen to 1080i with hdmi output set to auto.

I have no idea why this is, its a panasonic 1080p screen, it goes to 1080p when I play everthing else though.

The fact that menu screens are in 1080i is because that’s probably the highest resolution your TV reports in the Extended DTD section of the EDID info, as explained in this posting:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Is-your-Live-Plus-Hub-picking-the-wrong-resolution-in-AUTO/td-p/99460/highlight/true

Right or wrong, that’s how the WD’s select the HDMI resolution on AUTO.

Now, as to why it plays content at 1080p:  That’d be because you’re using FrameRate matching, and 1080p24 is the ONLY standard resolution that supports 24p.  

Finally, as to why your DVDs show up in a small window:   Please post the MediaInfo output of one of those files.

90% of my content is DVD ISO.   My TV is set to 1080p.   I’ve NEVER seen what you two describe.