Hub powers up, WD light blinks and Hub stays like that

Hi, I have searched the forum and found similar threads but there are some differences in the behaivor of my Hib:

it powers up, WD light start blinking and that’s all, it does not show any message about Media Library nor it shuts down.

It was working perfectly and suddendly it just started doing this, no firmware upgrade trigger this. I live and use the Hub in Mexico but this unit was bought in a BestBuy in US about a year ago.

As with many others with similar problem I have information inside  (photos and videos od the kids) that  I will like to try to preserve/recover.

Hub harddrive seems to be spinning however I don’t see the fan moving.

Any clues or suggestions?

Thanks

Try holding the reset button on the bottom. This should fix the issue

Hi Xtreme56, trieded that, no change.

Have you changed the theme or updated the Hub before this happened?

No change at all, just suddenly started to act like this.

The fan won’t start until it’s too warm, so don’t worry about that.

If the LED is flashing in the pattern of “Short Short Short Long Long Long Short Short Short” that indicates an internal hardware failure, and the unit is dead.

If it’s just the typical repeating flash, then try hooking it up via Composite cables and see if you get a picture that way.

well the flashing is showing in a pattern 3 short, 3 long, 3 short (SOS), anyway, conected composite cable and nothing.

So now what?

“It’s Dead, Jim…”

If it’s still under warranty, open an RMA case with WD support.

Anybody knows what the Warranty on these are?

Also if the warranty expired is there any place I can take it for repair in Mexico?

Thanks

Occasionally (rarely, actually), if you unplug the Hub, let it cool down for a couple of hours, it may begin to work once more.  It’s an odd chance, but I’ve seen it twice before.  Otherwise, the Hub is “broken.”

Just checked on website and my warranty expired on April 8th.

So anyone knows if the hub can be sent somewhere to be fixed?

Will try to call local support here in mexico to see if this thing can be repaired, but if not does anyone know how can I re-use the hard drive?

Can I just simply take it out, connect to Laptop with USB adapter cable and format?

Thanks for any advise.

Look on EBay you can purchase a Hub without hard drive and just simply install yours.

This maybe a cheaper option.

nskatp wrote:

Will try to call local support here in mexico to see if this thing can be repaired, but if not does anyone know how can I re-use the hard drive?

Can I just simply take it out, connect to Laptop with USB adapter cable and format?

Thanks for any advise.

Yes its a standard WD hard disc. You can purchase a very cheap interface from ebay and turn it into a USB drive.

Xtreme56, actually that’s a very good idea, will look into that.

Hi Xtreme56,

My live hub went to the same situation after I upgraded the firmware to 3.07.14 from 2.07.17 last night.

I have tried from rebooting the unit, use composite cable instead of HDMI cable, press the reset button but to no avail. The unit still can’t work. Any advice beside sending for a RMA.

Thanks,

Underfil

I have seen posts here where people are having various problems with the Hub that are being resolved by

1 - Unplug the power at the back of the Hub

2 - Hold down the power button on the FRONT of the Hub and connect the power while keeping the power button held in. I’m not sure at what point you release the power button and I’m not real clear on what, if anything, this will do. Sure seems at this point, for you guys, it would be worth a shot if you can gleen more info on what it does/doesn’t do.

Hi flhthemi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried that but did not help. The unit is still not working. Do you have any idea on how to recover data inside the hub before sending it tto WD for RMA?

I believe if you get in touch with them they will advise you how to do that and keep your warranty in tact. If its no longer in warranty you can just remove the drive and connect it to a PC and copy it.