Hub not detecting USB Drives

Hello, I´m having a very annoying issue with my Hub. 

I have a My Book 1TB Hard Drive and I usually have it connected to the Hub, it had been working nicely until now. Today I turned the Hub on and it wasn´t detecting it. I disconnected the device, and connected a USB flash and the Hub didn´t detect it either. Also,the wifi usb wasn´t working. 

I have tried reset, power cycle, tried in the 2 usb ports, and everything I could think of, and sometimes it works with the USB flash drive but not the My Book. When I get the flash drive working and I turn the Hub off, it doesn´t detect it again, i have to reset to factory settings to make it work. 

I managed to dowload the latest 5/17/11 firmware update and I´m having the same problems.

Any idea of how to solve this?

Theres a brand new firmware out just there.

Try that ?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-06-10-for-WD-TV-Live-Hub-5-17-11/td-p/191738

Thanks, I made a typo… I have the newest firmware 2.06.10, and doesn´t seem to solve my issue. Any other ideas?

Someone else has made a similar post recently.

Does a PC recognize the USB drive, could it be corrupted ? Does not explain the USB flash drive of course, or how it works after a factory reset.

edit - Ah, it does not help you are jumping threads…

Sorry, I´m a little desperate. Staying on this one.

My USB hard drive is working fine on my PC. The flash drive also.

The strange thing is that the flash drive works on occasion, but that´s the only drive I´m making work.

Mmmm tricky one alright. Did you roll back to the previous firmware before 2.05.08 ?

Have you tried deleting the .wdtv folder on the hard drive.

Anything happen before this happened ?

If the wifi USB is also not working, you have to start thinking hardware fault, if it was all working correctly before.

Thank you very much for your time… responses in red. > * * *
wdtvhub wrote:

Mmmm tricky one alright. Did you roll back to the previous firmware before 2.05.08 ?

No, I´m about to do that, the thing is, the error didn’t´t happen after an upgrade, It happened after having the Hub disconnected to a power source for 3 days.  Trying that though. Which firmware do you recommend?

Have you tried deleting the .wdtv folder on the hard drive.

Yes, no results :frowning:

Anything happen before this happened ?

Not really, I *think* the last thing I did was turning the Hub off while having an avi from my flash drive on pause. Could this be the problem?

If the wifi USB is also not working, you have to start thinking hardware fault, if it was all working correctly before.

Jesus…red text almost blinded me… :slight_smile:

Just follow the guide here…

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/session/L2F2LzIvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzA1NjcxMjkxL3NpZC95RDZrVGN1aw%3D%3D

And go for 2.04.13, no reason really, and I very much doubt if it will fix your problem.

None of the things you mentioned should create what is happening, sounds like a USB issue on your Hub, but Im no expert, I would contact WD Customer support if the rollback does not work.

Thats if you can get a flash drive to work of course.

Folks, keeping mind that there ARE DRIVES that just aren’t compatible. You might be fighting a losing battle.

I pretty much stick to the WD USB HDD’s to avoid this and it has worked everytime on every upgrade.

He does start his thread with saying he has a “My Book 1TB Hard Drive”.

Ah missed that. I think it may be the drive then. I guess you can do a system reset on the player and see if that helps if it shows up on the PC just fine directly plugged in.

I have exactly the same issue.  I have a 1.5TB WD my book that worked perfectly for months, then nothing.  The hub works fine w/ my thumb drive and also a smaller Maxtor HD, but it completely is blind to my other drives (they work fine on PC by the way).  I had a thought the other day that the only difference between these drives is that the My Book had that Smartware software that also loads from a separate partition.  I was sure that getting rid of that would fix it.  I downloaded the newest firmware for the My Book and was able to bypass the Smartware software and it only sees the actual drive now instead of the 2 partitions.   Still nothing.  I’ve fiddled w/ various firmware as well as the newest one just released for the hub to no avail.  Good luck.  Let me know if you find a fix.