HOWTO: (Arch) Linux on a Sentinel DX4000 without original compatible disks

Hi,

I have a break trough regarding the way to install Linux on a DX4000. Soon I will make a full tutorial on how to access and install Linux on DX4000. (does not involve hardware setup)

For some fast information I succeed to install Centos8 via VNC.
Tomorrow I will write the tutorial and if it is necessary also some video. I will post them.

I have some more stuff to test like making sure that the device will boot for disks.

I will keep you informed.

I know I promised a full tutorial, but because I am full with my work I cant find the window to make it. Untill then I will put the major steps:

The idea behind:
Install Linux remotely.

Steps:

1. Download centos8 dvd ( must be centos 8 full dvd, is the only one that is supporting EFI boot)
  2. Burn it as bootble using rufus to a USB.
    3 Edit EFI\BOO\grub on USB as fallow:
 set default="0"

function load_video {
      insmod efi_gop
      insmod efi_uga
      insmod video_bochs
      insmod video_cirrus
      insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2

set timeout=0
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

search --no-floppy --set=root -l 'CentOS-8-1-1911-x86_64-dvd'

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

menuentry 'Install CentOS Linux 8 VNC' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CENTOS-8-1- quiet inst.vnc inst.vncpassword=12345678 inst.headless
    	initrdefi /images/pxeboot/initrd.img
    }

menuentry 'Install CentOS Linux 8' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CENTOS-8-1- quiet
    }

menuentry 'Test this media & install CentOS Linux 8' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CENTOS-8-1- rd.live.check quiet
    }

submenu 'Troubleshooting -->' {
    	menuentry 'Install CentOS Linux 8 in basic graphics mode' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    		linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CENTOS-8-1- nomodeset quiet
    	}
    	menuentry 'Rescue a CentOS Linux system' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    		linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CENTOS-8-1- rescue quiet
    	}
    }
  1. Download VNC https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/windows/
  2. Boot DX4000 from USB by following the standard procedure.
  3. Figure out what IP has your wdx4000. You can look over your DHCP router or u can use an NMAP
  4. Connect to dx4000 via VNC on port 1 example :192.168.1.50:1
  5. Fallow the instalation steps.

After the instalation is done you have to edit again EFI/BOO/grub to be able to boot from disk. Append to menu entry as first entry from the menu boot

menuentry "Local Disk" {
        insmod chain
        search --set=root --file /EFI/centos/grubx64.efi
        chainloader /EFI/centos/grubx64.efi
}
  1. Boot dx4000 from USB. Because of the Local Disk entry this will be instructed to boot from local disk.

After Windows Server 2008 is not supported any longer I am looking for an alternative Software for my DX4000
Was your project succesfull in the end??? It would be great to see your tutorial.

@ gami see above info

I know it is kinda late for that, but I just successfully installed openmediavault on my dx4000 without any hardware soldering or new parts.
If anyone still interested I csn help.

Hi, care to share how you did it? I tried booting omv on virtual machine and plug my USB pendrive and install through virtual machine but it so slow and took a day to install on the USB pendrive. Before this i manage to install freenas using the same method but when im trying to boot the USB after the installation, it just wont go through the USB with OMV installed. How u did it? @maherd

Sure bro,

1-first of all create a parted magic bootable USB with this version (pmagic_2019_12_24) since latest version won’t be able to accelerate the device. and boot your storage from it.
2- access your nas through ssh with default username and password of pmagic.
3-turn on vnc through ssh and enter:
chmod a+x /root/.xinitrc
vncserver :60

4-install vncserver on your pc, and access your nas remotely through: (nas IP):60
5-use cgdisk to create partitions on your nas as follows:

EFI partition 500M /type: ef00 /name: boot
swap partition 1.5* RAM / type: 8200/ name: swap
linux partition / name:root

6-open terminal and write the following:
mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3
mkswap /dev/sda2
swapon /dev/sda2

7-copy OMV files from virtual machine virtual drive to your nas linux partition through USB
using cp -a command
8-
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /sys /run /proc; do mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
chroot /mnt

9-update etc/fstab with blkid UUID
10-edit /etc/network/interfaces or turn off your new interface naming so you will use eth0 and eth1 instead of enp3s0 & emp4s0

11-on terminal set time zone through “tzselect” and your region’s name
12- adduser
add user password
add user to sudo group
13-enter:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=debian --recheck --debug /dev/sda

update-initramfs -u

14- update UUID in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume with swap UUID

15- update-grub

16- exit chroot

17- umount -R /mnt

18-create file on boot partition name it “startup.nsh”
inside it write the following:
fs0:
cd EFI
cd debian
grubx64.efi

and save it