How to wipe/erase an old wd10000h1nc-00 for disposal?

I have not used this drive in many years and would like to dispose of it via my local electronics recycling. However, I’d like to wipe or erase the drive before I do.

I don’t see anything in the manual about this, only about resetting the password and settings. In fact, from comments in this community, it seems that the files & folders will remain.

I don’t really have access to the drive any more; I believe the software doesn’t work with Windows 10?

How can I wipe or erase the drive before disposal, please?

Thank you,

-David Marshburn

use a screw driver and a hammer put a dent on the drive.

To wipe or erase a drive before disposal, you can use specialized software designed for this purpose. One of the most popular tools for wiping data from storage drives is the BitRaser File Eraser. To wipe or erase the drive using BitRaser File Eraser, you can follow these steps:

1. Download and install BitRaser File Eraser.

2. Connect the drive you want to erase to your computer.

3. Open BitRaser File Eraser and select the drive you want to erase from the list of available drives.

4. Choose the erasure standard you want to use. BitRaser File Eraser supports a variety of erasure standards, including DoD 5220.22-M, NIST, and Gutmann.

5. Start the erasure process. BitRaser File Eraser will overwrite all data on the drive according to the selected erasure standard.

6. Once the erasure process is complete, BitRaser File Eraser will display a confirmation message.

7. Disconnect the drive from your computer and dispose of it safely.

It’s important to note that wiping a drive will completely erase all data on the drive, so make sure you have backed up any important files before proceeding. Additionally, wiping a drive using BitRaser File Eraser or similar software will make it very difficult or impossible for someone to recover the data from the drive, which is important for privacy and security reasons.