How to use USB drives as NFS share?

How Do I get my USB drives shown as NFS shares? They show up via SAMBA but not NFS. Only the shares created on the My Cloud drive show up over NFS. :frowning:

What is the drive’s format? The WD My Cloud supports the following formats for external USB drives:

FAT32

NTFS (read and write capability)

HFS+J

Linux Ext2, Ext3/Ext4

XFS

Try formatting the drive in the Ext2 or Ext3 or Ext4 and see if it shows up as an NFS share. Note however that formatting it as Linux Ext2, Ext3/Ext4 may make the drive unreadable in Windows unless one uses 3rd party software.

It’s NTFS and it needs to stay that way. I already managed to see those drives via NFS a couple of weeks ago.But I cant retrace the steps I did to make this work. :frowning:

Timbu wrote:

It’s NTFS and it needs to stay that way. I already managed to see those drives via NFS a couple of weeks ago.But I cant retrace the steps I did to make this work. :frowning:

You can mount the drives smb, nfs, afp as these are just the protocols to communicate with the cloud, which then translate the read/write data to your NTFS drive. The cloud will handle all the above formats mentioned by Bennor.

just mount it any protocol you like and the cloud will handle the USB conversions to NTFS if it is formatted as NTFS. My Book is NTFS formated but mounted as smb or afp as needed. 

You just need to have your USB under the shares and the user permission to access the USB drive.

good luck

Well the share of the usb drive is set up properly in the dashboard. It can be found and mounted via SMB but it does not show as NFS share. All shares on the Cloud itself show up as NFS share. Any ideas?

Timbu wrote:

Well the share of the usb drive is set up properly in the dashboard. It can be found and mounted via SMB but it does not show as NFS share. All shares on the Cloud itself show up as NFS share. Any ideas?

Mount it as SMB then, the Cloud will write it as NTFS on the other end.

I appreciate your input. I’m aware that I can mount external drives as SMB shares.

However, I need them as NFS shares for several reasons.

My Linux knowledge is rather simple, that’s why I’m looking for help from people who can tell me what to do via ssh console to mount those shares as NFS because it’s obviously not working by default.

Still looking for help. Anyone? :flushed:

Hi Timbu

All shares on wdmycloud are exported as SMB and NFS as well. There is nothing to configure.

If you have shares on the USB drive then these are exported as well.

wdmycloud NFS shares are under /nfs

(*nothing to confiure on wdmycloud, it is already done *)

on your host, all you have to do is install nfs client and service supplied with your OS.

For example on FreeBSD I enable nfsclient and then just mount it (after I enabled the nfsclient service)

#mount  wdmycloud:/nfs /mnt

(* note: wdmycloud is set in /etc/hosts)

I can then can access all public shares in the directory /mnt including the safepoint on the USB drive (which is really a share). That is it.

If you are using Linux, check this page (applies to other distro I think)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto