How to use My Cloud EX2 with Apple AirPort Extreme for Time Machine backup?

Hello, I am a beginner to NAS.  I was originally looking for an 8TB USB3.0 storage for Time Machine backup, but now I am interested in this product just because it seems to be a cheap (compared to G-RAID) and reliable (prefer Hitachi drive) 8TB storage.

Could anyone kindly tell me the best way to use this product with Apple AirPort Extreme (2013 model) for Time Machine backup?

Many thanks for your support in advance,

Masa

Hello,

Take a look at this link. Hope it helps.

Using a WD network drive with Apple Time Machine Backups

Thank you very much.

So, should I connect My Cloud EX2 to Apple AirPort Extreme?

I am also torn between using  My Cloud EX2 with AirPort Extreme or WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo 8.0TB (directly connected to Mac) for Time Machine backup.

Which way affect the performance of my Mac less?

MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch (Mid 2012)
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I’m assuming you realise that whilst your NAS and any number of NAS’s for that matter advertise TM backups as a feature, it isn’t supported by Apple.  In fact the only TM backup that are supported for Mavericks is Time Capsule.  

I do use the NAS for my TM backups but only as an insurance policy in case my Time Capsule failed.  I would not rely on it as my only Time Machine backup.

Simply offered as words of caution.

Personally I would get the My Cloud EX2 over My Book Thunderbolt Duo. Why, well simply because of the nature of Time Machine backups, they happen frequently so you can have the backups happen in the background without having to worry about being plugged into a hard drive because it will do it over the wired / wireless network. You should do your initial backup over ethernet (assuming you have a router with gigabit ethernet) you will get a good ~40MB/s, afterwards, since the backups will be smaller (new files added / modified) doing it over the Wi-Fi (again depending on your 802.11 technology) will be a good 6-20MB/s.

So in short, your system can be backed up frequently and automatically no matter where in the house you are, as opposed to having to grab the hard drive, plug it in, each time it prompts you for a backup.