How to upgrade ssd firmware without windows in linux

I wonder if there is a way to upgrade the ssd firmware without a windows machine. I have a WD Blue 1 TB SATA III 3D NAND (WDS100T2B0A). I am a linux user and I do not have access to windows or mac machines. If I could download the firmware and create a USB drive to create it, I could solve it. Specially because I think it is a procedure I should do on a regular basis. Thank you.

I was/am in a similar situation and was unable to find an answer. In the end I used a Windows To Go setup to run WD SSD Dashboard booted from a USB disk and was able to update the firmware for my SSD that way. All data on the SSD was unaffected and I was able to reboot back into Linux running the new firmware. You are able to extract the firmware update file in this process, but I don’t think it would help as you would have to work out how to do the update through Linux (I recall it being a standard process for NVMe but didn’t want to take the risk).

Unfortunately the new firmware didn’t do any good (EDIT: my issue was ultimately a CPU bug that was recently fixed by AMD) and I’m now moving to another manufacturer for my next SSD (EDIT: but not because of the firmware but rather because the WD Black I had ran extremely hot).

The firmware updates seem to be infrequent so you might find that there’s no need to do the procedure frequently.

Thank you, Velosol. I will give it a try.

I think you (and those with similar question) might find this guide helpful.
I’m a linux user myself looking to buy a new drive was doing research which drives can be updated without window. It’s unfortunate that the SSD vendors don’t play nice with Linux when all they have to do is to upload a firmware.